What bullet would you use in 1 in 8 300WM?

WildBillG

I am working up a load for a friends Browning Hells Canyon Long Range with a 1 in 8 twist. What bullet would you guys use. The 178 ELDX has a seating depth of 3.518. So far all I have tried is RL 25. That is with the 178 ELDX.

If he wants to shoot 600+ or so, the 215 or 230 Berger Hybrid is what I would use, on top of H1000.

If he isn't going to be shooting much beyond 600 or so, he could look at a lighter bullet and not compromise much. The heavier bullets will be very beneficial however at extended ranges with more retained energy and less wind drift.

I have a 28", 9twist Pac-Nor and mine shoots the 212gn ELD-X and 215gn Hybrids great and I'm burning RL-26 with BR2 primers. I ran out of "the Bergs" but I was consistently getting 2-3" groups at 1K with them. Just started load development yesterday on the 212-X's and it looks promising. At 100yds the groups are "one ragged hole" and velocity is averaging 3070fps with a SD of 8.4 from my LabRadar.

I took the rifle out today to try a few more 178 ELDX loads. Got a .736 inch group with RL 25 at 77.5grn and 3075 fps. Turns out this rifle and loads have great ES and SD. That is with the little case work I have done so far.
I will talk to my friend and see how much heavier he may want to go on the bullets for long range work. It really surprised me the rifle came with such a fast twist in the barrel. Appears as though Browning is thinking ahead.

I'd shoot anything that's heavy long and slick that shoots great. 215 hybrids or 212 eldx or 210 accubond. Try those and see. 215's at 2980ish is gunna be unbeatable probably.

I picked up some H1000 today so real load work can really start. That said RL25 and IMR7828 both show promise as well. After reading here would the Nosler ABLR be a better choice for an all around bullet? My friend is open totrying the heavier bullets.

As shooter7 said the hammers will run in the 8 twist barrel. I've tried the 181s and 214s in my hells canyon long range. It has shot both sub .5 MOA.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.