What 30 cal would you build?

Hard to beat the accuracy and barrel life of a wsm. Throat it long and do a long action and it will do 2950 with a 210 vld. Good to 1000 yards no problem. That combo kicks butt at 1000 yard matches all the time. Super easy to tune and stays in tune.
Shep
After building a 300 PRC for the exact same reason I would go with the WSM. The Norma requires the larger bolt face which I didn't want to go with. The length of this bullet is challenging with a long action cartridge. Just my .02.
I am working on the same project you are and I have decided to go with a 300 wsm. Here is why...
1. The cartridge is the most efficient one on your list
2. I have a good set of dies and about 300 pieces of brass that I bought years ago before I sold off my 300 wsm (that doesn't help you any sorry)
3. I'm using a tikka action with their long action magazines that will accommodate an overall length of 3.3" that is a game changer for the 300 wsm! With the long bullet seated way out the wsm comes into its own.
4. Tikka actions come with a good trigger, are light, smooth, have most of the features of a custom action at a much more affordable price.
5. For a light weight rifle burning less powder is a good thing for recoil.
6. The wsm doesn't need as much barrel length to achieve optimum performance because of the lower case capacity.
Thanks fellas
The things you mentioned above are why I'm really considering the wsm.
The Bore rider will be 3.9" in a PRC but a wsm would cycle with ease.
Just wish there were good brass options, and I don't want to rod it super hard to reach that 3000 fps mark.
I'd love to hear from someone who's shot the LRX in a wsm

and as to bullets I use the 215gr Bergers hybird up here and have never had one animal make more the 15 feet befor going down dead moose out to 775yards bear and boos

I'm gathering parts to build a lighter weight LR elk rifle (sub 10lbs scoped).
I hunt elk out to 1100 yards and plan on shooting the new 212 Barnes LRX, I shoot a lot (approx 300 rounds a year per rifle) so barrel life needs to be at least 1000-1500.

Barrel length will be 24-26" to accommodate a 4" suppressor.
I've narrowed it down to the following cartridges ONLY:

300 Norma Mag- awesome brass but I'm concerned it will cook barrels..

30 Nos custom throated- maybe decent barrel life and should get a 212 over 3050

300 PRC- probably the best bet but I'm really wanting at least 3050 with said bullet

300 wsm on a LA- super efficient and would be awesome if RL26 got me over 3000fps.
Down side is brass and probably velocity..

I'd love to hear from guys who have any of the above chamberings
Piercision rifles 300 Norma Imp. Weighs 8.7 LBS without scope. The target below is while fire forming brass. I also like the folding chassis for backpacking.

Attachments

• 20200119_124500.jpg
    20200119_124500.jpg
    904.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 20200126_165138.jpg
    20200126_165138.jpg
    622.9 KB · Views: 99
I haven't found that much speed with 210s in my long throated 25" wsm. Accuracy is definitely there, but with h4831sc, my best accuracy was 2770ish. R26 got me in the mid 2800s with best node. Mine might be a snail though :)

Mram you must have a slow one. The big node almost everyone runs is 2850 and that's with h4350 which is definitely not a speed powder in that case. Mine shoots 2875 to be in that good node. On paper the 300wsm seems just ok but the results show it is really exceptional.
Shep

Mram you must have a slow one. The big node almost everyone runs is 2850 and that's with h4350 which is definitely not a speed powder in that case. Mine shoots 2875 to be in that good node. On paper the 300wsm seems just ok but the results show it is really exceptional.
Shep
THanks for ruining my day Shep ...

I've run the Barnes l r x with great success. Use in 270, numerous 30 c a l s and 338 Lapua . Been accurate and excellent on game Preformance.

Sorry man. It's just such a popular 1000 yard match cartridge and most guys shoot the same load within a grain of each other. I'm at 61.3 h4350 with a 210m.
Shep

Sorry man. It's just such a popular 1000 yard match cartridge and most guys shoot the same load within a grain of each other. I'm at 61.3 h4350 with a 210m.
Shep
Thought most of those guys are running 30+" barrels??? Either way, OP, the wsm is easy to load for and fits your parameters

Thanks for clearing that up, I read on LRO that you'd cooked it at 700 rounds not that you pulled it for another test.
Did you by chance check to see how much throat erosion there was?
Has the 30 Nos ADG brass been tough and consistent?
I'm liking everything about the case design but only one good brass maker has me nervous.
The throat has only moved .010 but that is not a great indication of remaining barrel life. I would guess this barrel will be good for another 200 rounds but not sure it will ever find its way back on the action. You are not going to break 1k rounds with 75 plus grains of powder without having fliers due to the barrel being done(unless you truly shoot one and let it return to ambient before firing another round). I don't care what some try to say. ADG is as consistent as Nosler brass but has 3 grains more H20 capacity. There is not one "good" brass maker. Nosler, Bertram, and ADG are all great options. The Bertram is not as consistent in weight but you can't see it on target at 1k. If you don't try to run Nosler at 80k psi like some want to do it will last 6-8 firings. I would pick ADG every time in 30 Nosler due to capacity.

For a nice flat shooting light recoil load try the Barnes 130ttsx at 3400 fps. Crushes deer out to 500 yards.
Shep

Thanks guys great info
I just ordered a lone peak Razor action this morning, they are going to cut it for a 4" Wyatt's center feed box so that's a game changer.
I'm going with the 300 PRC

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.