What “SHOULD” a good 30 cal suppressor cost?

JJMoody

In Magicland, USA, where there were no NFA regs and any machine shop could legally manufacture and distribute a good quality .30 cal ( or other ) suppressor, what should they run? There's no ulterior motive for the question, just on a very long trip and day-dreaming here...

You can build a titanium one with titanium and stainless cones for about $300 in parts. So I would imagine it costs around $100 or so in actual material
Figure out the labor and mark up and "real" ones take welding and tooling too.

In Magicland, USA, where there were no NFA regs and any machine shop could legally manufacture and distribute a good quality .30 cal ( or other ) suppressor, what should they run? There's no ulterior motive for the question, just on a very long trip and day-dreaming here...
$500 is fair, it should be user-serviceable, monocore, 5/8x24 direct-thread, and able to handle up to 300 RUM.

Suppressors on bolt guns really make a difference in perceived noise to the shooter--- on semi auto guns the noise is reduced but still quite loud due to the gas and action opening right next to shooters head , semi auto noise reduction depends on cartridge selection. Bolt guns can be "stupid" quite even with form 1 builds. You dont need to spend 4 figures to have a quality suppressor. Even with the tax stamp, high quality and light form 1s cost about $500 total. I feel that factory assembled ones should be in the $4-600 range for centerfire and around 1-150 max for rimfire -- but with the demand and regulations I doubt you'll see a price drop any time soon

A mag light, freeze plugs, and a threaded cap. Boom all in for $50. Thats how I make my solvent traps when I clean my rifles. I dont want icky solvents all over the place.

Icky solvents are definitely a plague to folks who regularly clean firearms. Freeze plug capacity and strength seem a bit weak for large capacity cartridges.(I think, I don't know). You know, lots of carbon buildup and all...

Icky solvents are definitely a plague to folks who regularly clean firearms. Freeze plug capacity and strength seem a bit weak for large capacity cartridges.(I think, I don't know). You know, lots of carbon buildup and all...

Yeah good point. I saw a cool video on YouTube about it. As soon as you drill a hole at the end though, you need the form II or whatever it's called since it's now a can.

Yeah..... not real interested in federal prison... but curiousity, tinker-man-ship ( I hope I just created a term there) and the good ole American drive to DIY has me wondering what I can LEGALLY do to effectively reduce the noise level in large capacity rifles to single-exposure hearing safe levels. Also, what a fair and reasonable price point should be for such a device. I might switch gears in the post to a discussion on Form 1 options.

A mag light, freeze plugs, and a threaded cap. Boom all in for $50. Thats how I make my solvent traps when I clean my rifles. I dont want icky solvents all over the place.
Mag lights are aluminum, dont use them for centerfire, solvent traps are old technology now, they work ok but not great and are heavy-- titanium cones or radial baffles are the way to go with ss one for blast baffles. DT, or qd options are available.. buy a suppressor alignment check rod/tool if you are doing your own.
You can make an 8-10" long, 1.5" diam titanium centerfire form 1 with ti and ss machined cones that weighs just under a pound (13-14 ounces) for about 3 Bill's plus the tax stamp, good for 300wm-- if you venture into 338lm territory you'll add about another $100 to the parts list for larger volume/diameter parts.

If you want to build a legal form 1 you first need to do some research and plan as you'll need to know the caliber and length to fill out the forms, then submit the form 1 and pay for stamp, then receive your stamp, then buy parts and manufacture.

If your looking for shortcut ways or under the table options you're on your own, too much at stake to save a few bucks in my eyes.

Lots of info on form1 suppressors on other forums, just Google and you'll be overwhelmed

Trusts used to have some advantages over filing individually, not as much anymore-- be ready to wait about 10 months for that email from the atf with a picture of a stamp worth $200 before you start building or drilling.

Last edited:
I payed 400 to have my form 1 rebuilt by an actual machinist after I realized I didn't have proper equipment for the tolerances I wanted. He reused the titanium tube and threaded end that cost me about 150 ish in parts to purchase
10 inches, 11 stainless cnc baffles fully welded by hand. I found it reasonable and he did good work. Custom shops will always cost more than a big manufacturer so I bet they would be 350-400 ish from a big guy.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.