What’s the smallest barrel contour that could be fluted?

CarbonLead

Well pretty much as the tittle states. Which barrel contour would be the smallest you would have fluted? #5, #4, #3? I want a lightweight 24"-26" barrel but I don't want to lose to much rigidity and accuracy. I am not looking for a rifle/barrel to take to the range and shoot all the time so heating up quickly isn't an issue. I am looking at a lightweight hunting set up.

Some barrel makers won't flute less than a #4 and it depends on bore size. I have a #3 brux fluted on my 270ss and. It is capable of .2 to .3's. They flute before boring which gives less chance of barrel warping!

A fluted barrel is typically larger in diameter, and that's where the rigidity comes from -given a preset weight.
Less existing metal in a light contour leaves diminished potential from fluting. You can't flute as deeply(to cut weight), and rigidity will fall from that of an already light contour.

"I had Twisted Barrel flute a #1. They took seven ounces off."

Wow, how well does it shoot, what caliber, and what style of flute?

I have been told by several barrel makers and gunsmiths that you need to maintain .150 metal thickness from bottom of flute to bore. Some may disagree.

Ron

"I had Twisted Barrel flute a #1. They took seven ounces off."

Wow, how well does it shoot, what caliber, and what style of flute?

It's at the 'smith now getting chambered. On the thread "how to post a photo" is a photo of the cartridge. It is the one in the middle. (I really like the shape.:D) The capacity matches a .264 Win Mag. The barrel before was .25 caliber. It could do ten in 3/4" at 100 yards. I switched to take advantage of the BC of 6.5 bullets.

It will be months before I can fire a gun so I will try to impose on a friend to check it out when it gets back.

Heres the top 4 shots of 1000yd ladder test in a 6.5 creedmoor with 147 eldms I chamber for an ultralight. 2.5" at a grand for 4 shots isn't too bad considering its a fluted #2.

Attachments

• ladder.jpg
    ladder.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 346
Heres the top 4 shots of 1000yd ladder test in a 6.5 creedmoor with 147 eldms I chamber for an ultralight. 2.5" at a grand for 4 shots isn't too bad considering its a fluted #2.

How can that be, we all know that light weight guns can't group at range!!;) Isn't that rifle just over 6 lbs with optics?

Last edited:
I have been told by several barrel makers and gunsmiths that you need to maintain .150 metal thickness from bottom of flute to bore. Some may disagree.

Ron

I consider .150 thousandths to be an absolute minimum from the bottom of the flute to the bottom of the grove. More is better for many reasons, and besides the minimal reduction in weight is not worth the loss in rigidity.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Krieger wouldn't flute anything under a #6 in SST last time I called. Bartlein said they would do a #3 chromoly but they would only be about 0.01" deep. Not really a flute IMO. Therefore, I chose to go with a #1 for a lightweight build option. Besides, everyone knows fluting is just to show you have money right?;)

I recently ordered a barrel from Bartlein with .100" deep flutes. They required a .170" minimum thickness, even at the muzzle.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.