Smallest Diameter Barrel and Length

Triple BB

I have a 300 RUM, looking at changing out the barrel. Going with a Bartlein on reviews and my smith's recommendations. Wanting to be accurate to at least 1200 yards on this rebuild. This will also be a mountain rifle, so weight is a small consideration.

What would be a minimum length recommendation and barrel diameter to accomplish what I'm looking at?

A #2 if chrome moly is okay, if not then a #2B in stainless. I think they only come in 24" also, and with a RUM you need at least a 26" barrel.

Those for lightweight/mountain rifle barrels, neither I would recommend for 1200 yard shooting, you need two rifles or lessen up your expectations.

I am no expert but I do like to read info on precision shooting, so I read the PRB all the time...even though they are not shooting a big mag most are shooting 26' barrel with a diameter of at least .800

From everything I've read it is easier to catch a node with a bigger barrel...it reduces vibration.

In 2015 Bartlein was number one so you are for headed in the right direction for accuracy.

Triple BB,

If 1" at 300 yards for three shots is good for you you can go with .65" on a 28" if they are as good as Douglas.:) Mine and my son-in-law's are 7-.300 Weatherby.

There are so many opinions some that backed up with repeatable data are truths.

Not disputed: 26 is much better for a RUM less and you can achieve the same with smaller case capacity cartridges.
Not disputed: thicker is better for repeating/follow up shots and if you are going to spend lots of range time at 1,200 yards.
Not disputed: The above two if followed will add weight to the rifle.

Now I'll switch to my opinion mode so you know to ignore the rest.

If it were me, I would not use a RUM for a mountain rifle. I love and have multiple. Absolutely no question that less that 26" barrel is not optimal, creates insane recoil and muzzle blast. It all comes out heavier that most want.

Then there are the optics. For a mountain rifle you want something light and strong. Big scopes for 1,200 yard range time are not what mountain rifles usually wear.

Like everything in life, compromises compromises compromises. Even if you built one specific for a mountain rifle and another for 1,200 yard range shooting there will be compromises.

If I were to build a mountain rifle/1,200 range rifle:
Optic: max 18 power, max 44 objective.
Barrel: Carbon sendero profile, 26"
Action: Your favorite magnum long action
Stock: Carbon, light weight

and

Chambering: 30-Nosler

or

Get a Christensen Arms Ridgeline or Classic or Simmit TI in any chambering you desire. I have shot and loaded for a Christensen. It will do what you want.

Get a good optic, higher end Leupold, Nightforce. There are others but it gets model specific.

As noted, this is a rebuild. I'm only replacing a barrel, so I would expect it to be a lot less than $2000. Thanks for all the input.

I built a 300 Win Mag with a #3 BRUX. I was worried about barrel whip, harmonics and Heating. Turned out to be one of my most accurate guns. Finished at 10 lb 2 OZ.

Mu
I built a 300 Win Mag with a #3 BRUX. I was worried about barrel whip, harmonics and Heating. Turned out to be one of my most accurate guns. Finished at 10 lb 2 OZ.
Must have a heavy stock / scope. To be 10lbs.

Phorwath it is a Mcmillan Game Scout with a NF SHV. Not to heavy to carry, but still heavy enough for me to shoot out to 910 yds. Far as my property allows me to shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.