What barrel to use? Contour, Fluted, brake, length...

Another thing I've thought of doing is getting a used Remington Sendero in whatever caliber it maybe and having one of these guys accurize it. I know it won't be the weight I'm looking for but it'll be something I could use in a tower stand or on a bench. My buddy's Sendero in 300 Win is a hammer of a rifle and Hill Country accurized his. Like I said I'm just learning all this stuff. You ask me the specs of my Hoyt Nitrum and I can regurgitate them

If it gets to be too much to consider or think about I'll just call one of those custom makers and order what I want and have it in 6-12 months. 300 Jarrett is kinda calling my name. May just send Mr. Kenny or Jay my new action and have a Beanfield made...

You are going to have to make some concessions about your wants regardless of who builds it. You could solve some of the issues by choosing a different stock. Perhaps a McMillan Remington Hunter with an edge fill would suit you.

hello, contrary.to statements Kreiger made my #4 fluted st.st.barrel. rem .700 in.300weatherby,27"+vais brake,vx3-3x10x50 leuopy scope,lonewolf Kevlarstock scope.weight @8.9lb. .500 orless groups w/factory ammo(180gr) built byMCR rifles in PA.:)

hello, contrary.to statements Kreiger made my #4 fluted st.st.barrel. rem .700 in.300weatherby,27"+vais brake,vx3-3x10x50 leuopy scope,lonewolf Kevlarstock scope.weight @8.9lb. .500 orless groups w/factory ammo(180gr) built byMCR rifles in PA.:)

Krieger will only make a 30 caliber barrel in a #4 contour from Chromoly. And they won't flute it regardless of what it made from.

In fact I don't think they will flute a #4 in any caliber.

I just ordered a Krieger SS 4 groove, fluted, 27" Remington Varmint contour from Bruno's Supply. I also just ordered a rifleman stock from Precision Stock Works and a Vais Brake. It's coming along nicely folks!

Ok boys my barrel just arrived and I went by the gunsmith shop to check it out and I was kinda surprised at how thick and heavy this thing is. If you remember it was a Krieger Fluted Remington Varmint contour and weighs 4.5 pounds. Is that normal for a hunting 300 win mag?? Would a #5 contour be THAT much of a difference or do I just need to stay where I am?

The difference between a barrel with a .900" neck and a .700 muzzle vs one with a .960" neck and an .830 muzzle is substantial.

I'm gonna stick with this setup, one because the stock is already inletted for a rem varmint contour and if I wanna build another rifle for carrying purposes I'll do that. The disease has taken hold of me...

Just finished a 300 WIN MAG that meets your requirements. Borden Timberline action, Brux #3 barrel, Holland brake, Jewel trigger, Game scout stock, Ptg bottom metal, with a nightforce SHV 5-20X56. Finishes at 10lbs 2Oz and is extremely accurate. I was worried about the light barrel. But those concerns are a distant memory; the way this thing shoots the 215 Berger.

Just finished a 300 WIN MAG that meets your requirements. Borden Timberline action, Brux #3 barrel, Holland brake, Jewel trigger, Game scout stock, Ptg bottom metal, with a nightforce SHV 5-20X56. Finishes at 10lbs 2Oz and is extremely accurate. I was worried about the light barrel. But those concerns are a distant memory; the way this thing shoots the 215 Berger.

I'd like to see some pics of your rig.. have a similar build in mind.

Ok boys my barrel just arrived and I went by the gunsmith shop to check it out and I was kinda surprised at how thick and heavy this thing is. If you remember it was a Krieger Fluted Remington Varmint contour and weighs 4.5 pounds. Is that normal for a hunting 300 win mag?? Would a #5 contour be THAT much of a difference or do I just need to stay where I am?

Fluting a barrel is mostly cosmetic, it doesn't reduce the weight by much. Better to go to a smaller contour if you need to reduce the weight. A #5 is still a very chunky barrel. To get a rifle down to the 8-8.5 lb. range you need to stick with a #3 or at the most a #4 kept to a short length, something you probably don't want with a 300 ultramag.

It sounds like you've done what 99% out there do when building their first custom rifle, gone too heavy. No doubt heavier barrels shoot better but you've really got to hawk the weight of components to keep a custom rifle reasonably light enough to hunt. It's hard to do, especially with a bunch of guys on the internet telling you that you need a 28" remington varmint contour 300 ultramag to hunt deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.