Well finally did it...sold all my reloading stuff !! Anyone else shooting factory ?

You are right, if you don't put any value on the time it takes to reload, you might come out a head. A lot of people don't count the cost of brass. Nor do they count the cost of having to develop a new load every time you get a new lot of bullets or powder or switch powder or change bullets. I have all the reloading equipment - I don't love the process.[/quiote]

I tend not to count the brass as it only adds about $2 to the cost per box if you get 5 reloads per piece. Many of the cartridges I reload for get much more than that. Working up new or confirming existing loads doesn't necessarily take a lot of shots. I also get a lot of once fired brass at much reduced costs compared to new. After matches I've picked up a lot of once-fired brass .45ACP, no cost at all. Same deal after watching guys burn through factory .223/5.56 and .308 at the range. Probably have about 1500 pickups from that alone. A friend gave me almost 200 once-fired 6.5 CM cases a couple weeks ago. Dad gave me around 2,000 .22-250 cases from factory ammo he had shot over the years. I could go on, but you get the idea.

I typically use a ladder method for load work, with only 5-6 loads in the ladder. Each shot is chrono'd and POI recorded. Often that is all that is needed to get a sub MOA load and often considerably better. Just did this with four 6.5CM loads as was rewarded with two sub .5MOA loads. All four provided sub MOA results. I don't consider it a chore and actually enjoy the process.

Some people don't care for the "process", like you. Others, like myself, find it a way to expand their shooting enjoyment. Winter days are a great time to enjoy some peace and quiet in the reloading room.

If you shoot weatherby's or RUMs or Normas or Lapuas, I agree - you could come out ahead financially, barely if you don't care about your time. But if you are reloading for a 6.5 cm or 308 or 7mm or 300wm, there is no way you come out ahead financially.

You don't need to fire the boomers to come out ahead, but the more you shoot the sooner you recover your investment. One thing I've been able to do over the years is load ammo not available from any factory. North Fork is out of business and, to my knowledge, their bullets were never factory loaded. I use their bullets in a variety of calibers and cartridges, including 7mm, .30 and .45. I also load for a 6.5-06AI. Try finding factory ammo for that. One of the great things about reloading is I'm not stuck with factory options. My .375 Winchester ammo costs me about $15 per box, saving me around $37 over factory ammo with the same bullet. And the factory ammo is a seasonal production item and usually unavailable.

My .257 Roberts is my favorite rifle. I use WW +P brass and load to +P velocities. Although I use common bullets, no factory load I'm aware of match the performance of my loads. Nosler comes closest with their 110g AB, but at $50 per box and 100fps slower. I don't shoot a lot of it, but I use 225g SST for practice and 225g AB for hunting in my .338WM. I save around $20 per box with the SST and $30 or more with the AB. I can build .45-70 plinker/pest control/defensive ammo for about $5.25 a box, saving about $25 per box.

Also, I can't help but feel you die hard reloaders are probably stuck in the past when all that was available is some old school remington soft points that got you 5" groups at 100. Times have changed.

If you do it because you love it and it is a hobby, I think that is fantastic. I would rather spend that couple hours at the range instead of the reloading bench.

I don't think of myself as "stuck in the past" at all and I'm not limited to factory options, seasonal production, shortages, etc. I load premiums for most of my hunting needs and cup-and-core or cast bullets for most of my practice loads. While I shoot factory loads in new rifles during scope alignment, they rarely see factory ammo after that. Same deal with new handguns – I'll shoot factory until I get the dies and components to reload them.

I save a lot of $$$ reloading, which allows me to shoot a LOT more. And, yes, I enjoy it. Not everyone does.

I just did a little calculating and tried to do it on the high end using about 600 rounds to 8lbs of powder for bigger cartridges.
8lbs powder. 250.00
600 bullets. 300.00
100 cases. 200.00
1,000 primers. 30.00 = 750.00
It comes out to 1.25 a round

I just did a little calculating and tried to do it on the high end using about 600 rounds to 8lbs of powder for bigger cartridges.
8lbs powder. 250.00
600 bullets. 300.00
100 cases. 200.00
I am just curious - how much time do you think it would take you to load 600 rounds?

The only two things I don't reload for are shot shells of any kind an .25 ACP. I started reloading shot shell in the lat 1970's but simply didn't shoot enough to make it worthwhile. The bigger problem, though, was the space required - I didn't have room for empty hulls and cups. Traded the equipment and components for a stainless Ruger Blackhawk .357 Mag revolver.

.25ACP just wasn't worth the investment. I picked up the used Beretta 950 (a pre 950B model) for $149 and change at Gander Mountain. Thought it would make a good option for weddings and funerals and other suit-wearing events with family. And it has. The best part of the 950, though, is it came with the original box, printed in Italian. I watched one of the same boxes go for $80 on an auction site. I purchased 120 rounds of ammo at the time (years ago), fired a few for function testing and still have over 100 left. I'll probably never buy another box.

Still, I reload for 26 different cartridges.

Once you fire that brass the first time us reloaders can remove the brass price out of the equation 91 cents a round after the first firing is what I get.. I'm about the same price reloading for the 300 Win Mag. A comparable factory load is over 2.00 a round.

It would be too expensive to shoot factory loads and they wouldn't be close to as accurate either.

8lbs powder. 250.00
600 bullets. 300.00
100 cases. 200.00

Once you fire that brass the first time us reloaders can remove the brass price out of the equation 91 cents a round after the first firing is what I get.. I'm about the same price reloading for the 300 Win Mag. A comparable factory load is over 2.00 a round.

It would be too expensive to shoot factory loads and they wouldn't be close to as accurate either.
He did it the right way. He assumed each piece of brass could be fired 6 times so the cost of 100 pieces was spread out over the entire 600 rounds.

I am just curious - how much time do you think it would take you to load 600 rounds?
I know where your going with this.
For my varment sage rat stuff 2-3 hours.
Hunting rounds I never load more than what I think I'm gonna need.
For my 17 and 20 cal stuff the cost goes way down. 500-600 rounds a pound.
Bullets 50.00 a 500

I know where your going with this.
For my varment sage rat stuff 2-3 hours.
Hunting rounds I never load more than what I think I'm gonna need.
For my 17 and 20 cal stuff the cost goes way down. 500-600 rounds a pound.
Bullets 50.00 a 500
You gotta answer the question - how many hours would you spend reloading 600 hunting rounds? That includes case prep. 10 hours? 20 hours? 30 hours? I know for a fact it is more than 3 hours....

8lbs powder. 250.00
600 bullets. 300.00
100 cases. 200.00
For comparison, I can buy either 6.5 PRC Hornady Precision Hunter or the Hornady Match ammo online for $30/box. They both shoot around 1/2 moa. The match is better for me. the 30 boxes would give me 600 rounds. Total cost is $900. That is a $1.50 a round.

My varmint loads I get 50 rounds for $25 - my gun shoots these 1/2moa. So my cost for 600 varmint loads is $300 or $0.50 a round.

Even without taking into consideration your time, its pretty dang close to your reloading numbers.

Add the value of time to reload - let's say it takes 10 hours to knock out 600 rounds. I am valuing my time at $75/hour - that's what my job tells me I am worth. Even if you value yours much lower, let's say 30/hour. It adds up quickly.

You gotta answer the question - how many hours would you spend reloading 600 hunting rounds? That includes case prep. 10 hours? 20 hours? 30 hours? I know for a fact it is more than 3 hours....

I may have another way of looking at this. Factory ammo Is production ammo, and loaded very fast, so small differences can/will be missed. hand loaded ammo takes more time but not that much if you use a progressive press. Hand loading with a single stage press even longer. If you are extra careful and monitor each loaded round it takes even longer. then add the extra steps to produce the sub 1/4 moa ammo and you add even more time. then you add the final element "The Loader" some are faster than others, I am probably slower than many because loading is not a job and I enjoy doing it, so I don't care how long it takes and don't worry about how much time it takes.

If I were worried about the cost/time I would buy a progressive and knock it out. Hand loading is not only a fun hobby, It is a good stress reliever, and the satisfaction of shooting/hitting something the size of a dime at several hundred yards consistently is "priceless".

So I think that any time number will be different from person to person and have no real bearing on average cost. I have found that it is much harder to earn money, than it is to spend money. You can work a week to earn your pay check and in a matter of a few hours at a mall have it all spent.

Loading is not for everyone, but some enjoy it enough that if it were more expensive they would still Hand load.

J E CUSTOM

I may have another way of looking at this. Factory ammo Is production ammo, and loaded very fast, so small differences can/will be missed. hand loaded ammo takes more time but not that much if you use a progressive press. Hand loading with a single stage press even longer. If you are extra careful and monitor each loaded round it takes even longer. then add the extra steps to produce the sub 1/4 moa ammo and you add even more time. then you add the final element "The Loader" some are faster than others, I am probably slower than many because loading is not a job and I enjoy doing it, so I don't care how long it takes and don't worry about how much time it takes.

If I were worried about the cost/time I would buy a progressive and knock it out. Hand loading is not only a fun hobby, It is a good stress reliever, and the satisfaction of shooting/hitting something the size of a dime at several hundred yards consistently is "priceless".

So I think that any time number will be different from person to person and have no real bearing on average cost. I have found that it is much harder to earn money, than it is to spend money. You can work a week to earn your pay check and in a matter of a few hours at a mall have it all spent.

Loading is not for everyone, but some enjoy it enough that if it were more expensive they would still Hand load.

J E CUSTOM
As soon as you start to speed up the process with progressive presses and auto powder dispensers, you run an even higher risk of inconsistent loads and seating depths. So then you upgrade your equipment - more cost.

I think at the end of the day reloading is a less rewarding version of sewing for some. It has to be something you love doing or there are better options.

I have gone through this before. My experience was that ammo I found that performed to my expectations would inevitably be discontinued in 3-5 years. Then I would have to spend a lot of time and money at the range finding a suitable load again.

However I buy factory pistol, and shotgun ammo as my standards aren't the same. For pistols if I ever have to use one in self defense, the last thing I would want is for a DA to question reloads.

Unfortunately I have had components discontinued as well. However I now buy a barrel worth of components when I settle on a load.

This is my current mentality on factory/reloading.

Best wishes and good hunting.

I couldn't agree more. To me reloading is relaxing and a way to just unwind. I could care less how long it takes

J E CUSTOM

Loading is not for everyone, but some enjoy it enough that if it were more expensive they would still Hand load. J E CUSTOM

+1

By a previous poster, it was compared to knitting, which is appropriate. A lot of time and labor going in, not that much monetary value coming out.

We do it because we enjoy it.

Reloading is definitely cheaper for the rarer calibers, where factory ammo costs a kidney.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.