I "FINALLY" Got It All Together

memtb

I've been trying for several years to put together a long range package, primarily for fun but also for possible tactical use. 4 or 5 years ago I got a scope, then learned that it was better suited for target/varmint use. A little over 2 years ago, I bought a used Savage 6.5-284, used the previous owners load data and my scope for testing. The rifle shot "beyond" expectations, I was jubilant (my fancy word of the day)! But, other priorities took precedence over a tactical scope (food,housing,ect.). After much research trying to get a good scope within my budget ( it ain't a Nightforce or S&B,ect.), bought a like new Burris XTR ll, from right here on Longrangehunting. So, now I can join you guys, instead of just living vicariously thru you.:D. I'm always late to the party, but eventually get there! :D. memtb

memtb,

Congratulations. I hope you enjoy many range sessions and days afield (if you're a hunter) with it.

I will admit that this forum as piqued my interest in long range target shooting. I know I could do it with my 7MM Rem Mag, but that wouldn't be fun. I'd want to go the same way you did.

My biggest obstacle is distance to the nearest long range rifle range. I don't know if one exists anywhere is So Cal.

Many years ago, Camp Pendleton used to allow civilians on its range. I went there when I was about ten years old. I believe it was related to scouting. I fired a .22LR that day. I'd doubt that it still allows civilians on its range, but it would be great for its public relations...and my ability to shoot long range.

I hope to throw a few loads together soon. Probably will have to show wife's targets, as she did better than me in our one and only test session. If we can duplicate what we did then, we'll definitely take pictures. We were using a 32 x scope on the testing, hopefully this 25x will do as well. We'll certainly get a picture or two of the rifle. It looks good to us, even if it won't shoot :D. memtb

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.