Weatherby Shooters

Buzzsaw

Want a rifle with beautiful wood. There are two in my budget. Weatherby MKV and Winchester Super Grade.
I found a really pretty MKV but its in .300 Weatherby. Not my first choice in caliber given, I'm not a fan of big recoil. But the price is VERY tempting. I'm trying to find more info on it, where it was made, all I know is an older gentlemen is selling it. I think is is very low round count.

This is why I asked about rebarreling in another thread.

Question, just how brutal is the recoil of the .300 Weatherby Mag?

The 300 wby does kick but a muzzlebrake will tame the recoil.20 rounds without a brake is all I want to shoot off a bench.
Winchester super grade is a nice rifle if you can find one in a caliber smaller than a 30/06.
Good luck.

How about accuracy. I don't think either is known for shooting tight groups. Of course there are exceptions. As far as hunting I have a custom 6.5 Creed and a custom .223, both shoot tiny groups, both have composite stocks.

Hunting with the .300 would only be for Nilgai,

If the Weatherby has a beautiful stock like the one featured in the "New Antelope rifle arrived today," I'd buy it. A late uncle had 2 Wby 300 mags. His first one had terrible accuracy. He went back to his 30-06. He eventually bought another 300 Wby mag but kept the first one because it had such a nice stock :) Sighting in his new Weatherby was a bad experience. I took around 10 shots, was pretty sore and woke up the next morning with a B&B and hurting shoulder. You have some options: buy a custom stock or buy one of the above rifles and put in a new barreled action 🍻

Last edited:
Want a rifle with beautiful wood. There are two in my budget. Weatherby MKV and Winchester Super Grade.
I found a really pretty MKV but its in .300 Weatherby. Not my first choice in caliber given, I'm not a fan of big recoil. But the price is VERY tempting. I'm trying to find more info on it, where it was made, all I know is an older gentlemen is selling it. I think is is very low round count.

This is why I asked about rebarreling in another thread.

Question, just how brutal is the recoil of the .300 Weatherby Mag?

The 300 Weatherby is a classic cartridge and a performer. There are several things you can do if you like the rifle. You can load the cartridge down to soften the recoil or have a nice muzzle brake installed.

If you decide to re barrel it, go with a 1 or 2 contour increase and Pick any of the cartridges listed for long action magnums with or without a brake.

J E CUSTOM

The 300 Bee recoil is not as bad as everyone makes out.
Sure, off a bench it can be cumbersome to put up with, but a good recoil pad goes a long way taming it.
In the field, I never feel the recoil, even from my big bores.
My 375 Bee is wicked off a bench, but from field positions it is a pussycat.

I would buy it regardless.

Cheers.

The 300 Wby can be as accurate as any other cartrage don't be afraid to buy it if still avlible. Mine in a Sko actioneasly shoots under an inch. As mentioned before the recoil is not as bad as people say. A limb saver pad is a nice touch on one if you think you need it. I eventually put a brake on mine and it really really tame it down.

On the recoil side all people tolerate recoil to a different degrre. It is up to you to decide how much is to much recoil. If it would be a problem get a brake so you don't have to battle fixing a flinch. Also a Weatherby action is a strong action to build on. That is my plan with my Weatherby action I have obtained at a steal of a price.

I bought a MKV in 300 Wby in 1986. It shot okay, but the stock was gorgeous. My son bought another 300 Wby with a Tupperware stock which we switched out with the walnut on mine. His 300 shoots lights out, an Atascadero made barreled action. I don't mind the recoil, but my son "6'4" 245#" snivels every time he shoots it. Sold mine with the Tupperware and never looked back. A few years ago I answered a ad for two B&C Wby stocks which I bought and I received a Weatherby custom deluxe walnut stock free. Still have it, some day I'll find a good action for it.

As usual the Brits are far smarter than we are. They build lots of hard recoiling rifles that make a 300 Bee look like a 223. The solution is simple --- a standing bench rest as are found at all H&H shooting facilities.

I've shot a 577 Rigby double off them and they push you back rather than slamming you.

Sitting benches are not for hard kickers and 1/2 azzed remedies like a lead sled will wreck a wood stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.