Weatherby Shooters

I have several Bees MKV in 300 WBY MAG. One German, one Japanese and two US made. All shoot 1/2 MOA and I am not that great of a shot. I do reload. All except the German that is over 60 years old have muzzle breaks. Kick not as bad with the break. I hunted everything from springbok to whitetail and wildebeest. I also have several Win M70 all with the BOSS. All shoot MOA or better. My 30-06 shoots less than 1/2 MOA. I like all of them.

I purchased my 300 WBY 26 " tube Mark V German made in 1969 and still have it but don't shoot it that often.
From the bench it's stout but it wasn't when I was 35 lol. Free hand it's no problem but then again I don't hunt anymore and just punch holes in paper with my Remington 700 308 5R. Oh well...nap time zzzzzzzz

I've had two .300 Wby Mags, a Vanguard with the deluxe stock and a Japanese Mark V. The Japanese Mark V shoots very small groups at 100 yds with hand loads very easily and even the Vanguard was sub MOA at 100 yds. Recoil with a good recoil pad on the stock is very tolerable, though not completely pleasant (more than my 7mm RM). With one of the PAST gel pads you can wear, I can shoot the gun all day, even with 200gr bullets and hot loads. Hunting with the gun is never a problem and I've never shot an animal where I noticed the recoil in any of my rifles.

Here's one of the very small groups out of my Mark V. 167gr Peregrine with 80.5gr IMR 4831 and CCI 250 primers out of Weatherby/Norma brass at 100 yds.

Attachments

• threeshotgroup300WbyMag.jpg
    threeshotgroup300WbyMag.jpg
    356.2 KB · Views: 94
I Am luck enough to own two Weatherby Mark V Delux ! They are stocked in Claro walnut from the Factory! A 300 Weatherby Mag and A 270! Weatherby Mag , I also have a Stythetic stock fir each of them , and a mark V stock from the Weatherby Custom shop , which I had Done in English oil finish by Griffin and Howe ! I was going to restock The 300 , but I may Just sell the Mark V Custom Stock! My Winchester Super grade stock ( 270 Win) is plain and Un remarkable And needed a professional Re bedding ! It's Just Fine now! Look at several rifles and select the one with the Wool you like best !

Bought my 300. Wby in 1970, 26" barrel, made by Sauer, w/Leupold 3x9 scope. 3/4" groups at 100 yards with 180 gr handholds.
Accounted for 3 elk, 3 caribou, two moose, half-a-dozen deer. Loved the gun, unfortunately gave it to a friend who sold it soon thereafter. Now shoot a .375 H&H made by Rifles, Inc, 26" bbl w/muzzle brake, 3/4" groups with 300 gr Sierra's. Great gun. Neither had unacceptable recoil but seldom fired more than 5 shots from bench.

I have two Weatherby Magnums, Vanguards - a .257 & .300. Each is a very light hunting rifle, can hold 2-3" at 200 yards, and each one cost me $400 - $500.

Great for what I need. The .300 has a brake on it - shoots like a pussycat. Admittedly I had some concerns for that first uncertain shot, totally not a an issue at all.

I used Weatherby service once. They were so awesome I will always be a Weatherby fan.

Several years ago I picked up a used Weatherby Alaskan in .300 Weatherby and I was amazed to find how little felt recoil there is from a standard weight .300 Weatherby. The same cannot be said for the light-weight versions. When it comes to shooting comfort, weight does help!

I have two Weatherby 300s, a MKV LaserMark and a LaserGuard...both with 26" barrels and muzzle brakes. Recoil is somewhere akin to a 257 Roberts or 6mm. Both shoot under .5 or better. The 300 LaserGuard will shoot a quarter inch if I wait 10 minutes between shots. When fired faster with barrel heating up moves right and up but stays within .7, the LaserGuard moves horizontal within .8 inches. No the loads are not the same for both rifles.

How about accuracy. I don't think either is known for shooting tight groups. Of course there are exceptions. As far as hunting I have a custom 6.5 Creed and a custom .223, both shoot tiny groups, both have composite stocks.

Hunting with the .300 would only be for Nilgai,
I couldn't disagree with you more. Of the 17 rifles I own 8 are Weatherby rifles. I have added accubrakes to three, and two were purchased with. ALL shoot under .8 out of the box. 5 of them shoot .5 or better. The only modifications I have made are the accubrakes and triggers adjusted to 2.25 lbs. I have two custom rifles, 6mm Remington and 270 Win Browning; both .25 inch groups. I have a lot of time involved with the custom guns. Four of the Weatherbys cost me $500 @ and shoot virtually as good as the customs or the MKVs. I need to buy two more, for the great grandsons on the way!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.