300 DAKOTA and WEATHERBY SHOOTERS

elkaholic

Any of you guys out there that shoot a 300 Dakota or Weatherby, what are you getting for velocities and with what load combos? I am particularly interested in 210 grain on up to 240.........thanks/Rich

Rich,
I get 2900fps with 81 gr Retumbo and 215 Berger.
2950 with 84gr Retumbo and 210 Berger in a 24" WBY Vanguard. I don't think these are max but they shoot well and it is about all the recoil I can take.
Cliff
P.S. I've been watching your project.:rolleyes:

Cliff what COAL are you running in that vanguard? Are you single loading or loading to fit mag? I have a SubMoa 300 wby and have been thinking about switching from my 168gr TTSX load i use for CA hunting in the lead free zone.

Looking at my Sierra program , I figure I was wasting my time with anything less than 180 gr. . Now I'm looking at 200 gr =>. With Weatherby 's long throat, I'm thinking Barnes might be the bullet for Weatherby's. I have not tested that theory. lightbulb

Best max accuracy with the 210's is just over 3000 fps with a 26" barrel. About 25-35 fps per inch with this load. My accuracy loads are between 3000-3050 fps except for the one insane 300 wby that thinks it is an RUM and shoots best accuracy with 210 bullets at 3150 fps. But that is not normal. Retumbo is very good.

I checked my notes and the COAL was 3.77"
The action was milled to fit a remington magazine, which is not installed yet, think I was loading to that length.
I forgot till I saw my notes that the last hunting loads with the 210's were 3.55" (which fits the original magazine) 72gr Hybrid 100V at 2900fps. Best groups ever!
Cliff

What Brand of 210 gr are you shooting? Sierra and Hornady A Max are the most resonably priced , $/100. Barnes get alittle pricey for ***** and giggles.

My .30-8mm in Remington cases is 100.1grs of water. That is a fired and unsized case. They are Remington 8mm Mag cases.

I bet your brass is tougher then Remington magnum brass though.

Could be? I wasn't to happy with earlier Hornady brass but they may have learned something before they came out with the 375. One thing I've noticed is it is fairly consistent for brass weighing 260 grains. Most is within 2 grains.........Rich

RWS makes .375 H&H brass and I've considered trying some for my gun but I've heard the case capacity is really low because it's such heavy walled brass. I may try some anyway just to see what the difference actually is after fireforming.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.