Weatherby .224 Magnum Mark V Varmitmaster.

Thanks Lenny and will do.

Just out of curiosity. Which site did you sell yours on? Thanks for the response. Btw, I spent 3 years in the 7th Air Cavalry from 87-90 at Ft. Hood. We had Hueys, Cobras, and Scouts when I was there. That was my favorite assignment of my career.
I used GunBroker. Pretty easy to use. I've bought and sold lots of firearms on there. Before I listed it there, I took it to a local shop to see what they might offer for it. They could not find this model with the early SN in their books. They ended up offering $600 for it which was laughable. They didn't know what made it special. GunBroker has a bigger audience and a better chance to sell for what it's worth. I always do the auction starting at a dollar. Makes me nervous at the beginning, but I've always done well that way. And those old helos were pretty dang cool. Been flying the Blackhawk for about 20 years now though

I used GunBroker. Pretty easy to use. I've bought and sold lots of firearms on there. Before I listed it there, I took it to a local shop to see what they might offer for it. They could not find this model with the early SN in their books. They ended up offering $600 for it which was laughable. They didn't know what made it special. GunBroker has a bigger audience and a better chance to sell for what it's worth. I always do the auction starting at a dollar. Makes me nervous at the beginning, but I've always done well that way. And those old helos were pretty dang cool. Been flying the Blackhawk for about 20 years now though
Thanks for the info. Yea. I called around to see if anyone had any 224 ammo and a pawn shop about 20 miles away said they did. So I stopped in there a few days later and it was 224 Valkyrie they had. So, I told them what gun I had and they told me it wasn't worth but a couple hundred bucks. So, I left and have since learned from this group much more about the gun. Thanks again.

Buddy, I worked in a gun shop for many years as young man. That's just what so many of them do. Like I said earlier, they will offer 500, and sell it for $1000. Especially if they have some looking for that rifle, in that caliber. I have suggested this to many friends and old customers. An off the shelf rifle is usually not an investment, It's not artwork, it's a toy, it's a luxury, and it's a fine shooting rifle. It has great value to YOU because of its wood and its bluing and its caliber. Another guy will say , "Why would I pay that much?? "Does the fancy wood make it shoot better??" The one I always hated was " So that fancy rifle is going to make me see more Deer". As with anything, it is only worth what someone is willing to pay, and if that person has no appreciation for fine wood, beautiful bluing and silky-smooth bolt and action, and a dam fine caliber, then you are simply talking to wrong guy. There was reason we sold 15 ADL's to every 1 Mark V . It was the expense of the finer rifle, and realization that many simply could not afford it, and that fact angered SOME of them. So we had the I hate Weatherby guys. With no basis in actual fact, they would bash a brand the never owned, It used to really get to me back when I was 20, sometimes it still does. Enjoy your rifle Tim isn't that why you bought it???

Buddy, I worked in a gun shop for many years as young man. That's just what so many of them do. Like I said earlier, they will offer 500, and sell it for $1000. Especially if they have some looking for that rifle, in that caliber. I have suggested this to many friends and old customers. An off the shelf rifle is usually not an investment, It's not artwork, it's a toy, it's a luxury, and it's a fine shooting rifle. It has great value to YOU because of its wood and its bluing and its caliber. Another guy will say , "Why would I pay that much?? "Does the fancy wood make it shoot better??" The one I always hated was " So that fancy rifle is going to make me see more Deer". As with anything, it is only worth what someone is willing to pay, and if that person has no appreciation for fine wood, beautiful bluing and silky-smooth bolt and action, and a dam fine caliber, then you are simply talking to wrong guy. There was reason we sold 15 ADL's to every 1 Mark V . It was the expense of the finer rifle, and realization that many simply could not afford it, and that fact angered SOME of them. So we had the I hate Weatherby guys. With no basis in actual fact, they would bash a brand the never owned, It used to really get to me back when I was 20, sometimes it still does. Enjoy your rifle Tim isn't that why you bought it???
Indeed! I have some beautiful shotguns. I love my Remington 1100, 12 ga Sporting shotgun to hunt with. Guys say to me, "Wow! That gun is too pretty to hunt with, isn't it?" My reply has always been, "life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun!" 😁

This is the lh 338-378. It goes hunting. I agree with T101, life is too short for ugly guns.

20190827_084811.jpg

Hell, yes boys. Those are true words!!So glad there a still a few of us left. My 270 Weatherby mag sitting a Mule Deer horns it took in 1979 and a Mark V Stock from the Weatherby Custom shop, finished in a London Oil finish by Griffen and Howe.

Attachments

• IMG_2477@70 Weath mag  Leupold 4.5 to 14  Pic 2.jpg
    IMG_2477@70 Weath mag Leupold 4.5 to 14 Pic 2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3138.JPG
    IMG_3138.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3143.JPG
    IMG_3143.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3144.JPG
    IMG_3144.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
Hell, yes boys. Those are true words!!So glad there a still a few of us left. My 270 Weatherby mag sitting a Mule Deer horns it took in 1979 and a Mark V Stock from the Weatherby Custom shop, finished in a London Oil finish by Griffen and Howe.
I retired one WBY MKV, but that is because I still has the tang Safety and Pot Metal Trigger, and Don't want to take a chance in breaking the trigger. I do not want to "updated it". It was made 8/1959, the year before I was born. I take all the rest to the field.

Timithey101, you can also take a look at WWW.vintageriflescopes.com. The inventory changes from time to time. Sometimes they have vintage new, used and refurbished. Contact them, they are a good source.

Also, I see you are new to the forum. Welcome to the forum from the Florida Georgia Line
Tommy, I have a question as I am trying to decide whether or not to put a period correct scope back on my Weatherby .224. Here is a picture of the scope that came on the rifle when it was purchased new in West Germany in December 1963. The gentleman I got the Weatherby from kept this original Redfield scope and put it in one of his other guns (pictured below) and doesn't want to part with it. Asking for some wisdom please. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_6378.png
    IMG_6378.png
    1 MB · Views: 28
I am not Rommy, but those period Redfields are very easy to come by and not very expensive. I still have a couple but sold a bunch last year. Most went for 200 to 400 in excellent shape. 4x fixed 200, the variables with the tombstone range finders were 400 range.

I am not Rommy, but those period Redfields are very easy to come by and not very expensive. I still have a couple but sold a bunch last year. Most went for 200 to 400 in excellent shape. 4x fixed 200, the variables with the tombstone range finders were 400 range.
Thanks Dean. I saw one on Vintage Scopes.com for $399 and a near mint was $499. I think I'm going to get the near mint one and put it on it just to make it as close to original as I can probably get it. See the picture attached. Thanks for the info.

Attachments

• IMG_6379.png
    IMG_6379.png
    137.2 KB · Views: 20