Weatherby .224 Magnum Mark V Varmitmaster.

What a great rifle. Congratulations. So, a million years ago I purchased a Weatherby Regency 12-gauge shotgun. Fully engraved side plates. very nice wood. I contacted Weatherby ( Then in South Gate, Calif) and they had a guy on staff that was the company historian. For 20 Bucks, I received a letter telling me everything about that shot gun from the date of Mfg. to the first gun shop it was ever sent too. I framed it!! In a more recent conversation regarding the addition of a muzzle break, for my Weatherby Mark V Ultralight rife, I had to tell them the serial Number, and they told me the date it was Mfg., over the phone. My advice is pick up the phone and reach out to them.

What a great rifle. Congratulations. So, a million years ago I purchased a Weatherby Regency 12-gauge shotgun. Fully engraved side plates. very nice wood. I contacted Weatherby ( Then in South Gate, Calif) and they had a guy on staff that was the company historian. For 20 Bucks, I received a letter telling me everything about that shot gun from the date of Mfg. to the first gun shop it was ever sent too. I framed it!! In a more recent conversation regarding the addition of a muzzle break, for my Weatherby Mark V Ultralight rife, I had to tell them the serial Number, and they told me the date it was Mfg., over the phone. My advice is pick up the phone and reach out to them.
I sent hem an email about a month ago with 5 serial numbers. Within a day I had a reply with Specific Model, Country, Month, Year of manufacture. The are very good in responding. I think their customer service since they moved to WY has improved. For example, my oldest one was made 8/1959 in W. Germany, but I did not know it was a Deluxe.

I will call them this coming week and see what I can find out. I called a couple of gun shops in my area last week looking for .224 Weatherby Magnum ammo. The first thing they said to me was…"I hope you didn't pay very much for that gun because it isn't worth anything." Thanks to the advice and info as I am now aware that this .224 Weatherby rife and ammo are valuable pieces of history and a nice firearm/ammo. Also, I'm really grateful that so many guys are providing further insight and advice on this site. What a great group! Thanks again.

Hey buddy, Im sorry to say "some" local gun shops may not want to be very helpful!!! They may hope you sell it to them for $400 buck so they can re-sell it for $1000 .You have Gem!!! It will be lots of fun to shoot. Start looking for factory new , or Once fired Weatherby or Norma brass. 250 to 300 cases. Ammo may be had to find at the moment, but hand loading is lots of fun. You'll see. I own three-Mark V rifles and they all shoot very well. Don't shoot it rapid fire, please allow the barrel to cool between shots. This rifle is like a fine watch., don't be rough with it. Enjoy it!!

I just read through this thread. You have a nice looking rifle there. I see you plan to look for a vintage Weaver scope and rings for it. I believe you have Leupold bases on the rifle, which means you would have to use Leupold rings. Nothing wrong with that -- they're top quality. You should be able to find Leupold rings for a 1" tube if you can find a Weaver scope.

I agree with others who say keep it in the safe.

Hey buddy, Im sorry to say "some" local gun shops may not want to be very helpful!!! They may hope you sell it to them for $400 buck so they can re-sell it for $1000 .You have Gem!!! It will be lots of fun to shoot. Start looking for factory new , or Once fired Weatherby or Norma brass. 250 to 300 cases. Ammo may be had to find at the moment, but hand loading is lots of fun. You'll see. I own three-Mark V rifles and they all shoot very well. Don't shoot it rapid fire, please allow the barrel to cool between shots. This rifle is like a fine watch., don't be rough with it. Enjoy it!!
Great advice! I'm really looking forward to doing some .224 reloading. My passion is actually pistols and my favorite is the German Luger. As a matter of fact, I have recently ordered a 45acp from the Lugerman in PA who is building reproductions of the original 45acp test pistols the US Army tested in 1907. It won't arrive til Feb-March of next year, but imho, it'll be worth the wait. Thanks again for all the advice.

Tim , Please feel free to reach out to any of us, at any time. You will find Hand loading for your rifle extremely rewarding. All factory Weatherby loads are generally pretty hot high velocity loads, but for fun or practice you can back them off a bit, if you ever want too, when you hand load. Welcome from NJ !!

I thought the same thing about the price he put down. I believe it's a typo, but he's not around to ask about it. It was probably $295 more than likely imho. It was on the military base is what his son-in-law told me; (Kirchgoens) Rod & Gun Club.

Thanks for the info it really helps. Next week I'm going to attempt to get the original Redfield 3x9 scope and rings for it from the guy I got the rifle from and put them back on the rifle. Any idea what the value of the gun is including all accessories that came with it? I have 2 original unfired boxes of ammo, an original leather sling and gun case that was purchased with the gun in Dec 1963. Thanks again for the info. And from your handle…you must be a Blackhawk pilot? I'm retired Army myself.

My rifle sold for just under 5K with the original scope and sling. No ammo. I've seen most sell for around 2-2.5K. The earlier and unique SN helps with the value. Mine was in almost perfect condition. And yep, good guess, Army Blackhawk pilot here.

I am another lefty, have only ever owned LH Weatherby rifles. Currently have 338-378 MK V Custom shop rifle with 3 leaf express sights and 257 Bee Ultra Light. Many others have come and gone, all were great shooting guns. You got a great find, early production pre letter serial number, all original bits and a couple of boxes of period ammo. If you aren't a collector, I would seriously consider selling that to a collector. If you shoot it much you will degrade the collector value quickly. With the money you get for it you can buy 3 or 4 shooter grade Weatherby rifles.

Tim , Please feel free to reach out to any of us, at any time. You will find Hand loading for your rifle extremely rewarding. All factory Weatherby loads are generally pretty hot high velocity loads, but for fun or practice you can back them off a bit, if you ever want too, when you hand load. Welcome from NJ !!
Thanks Lenny and will do.
My rifle sold for just under 5K with the original scope and sling. No ammo. I've seen most sell for around 2-2.5K. The earlier and unique SN helps with the value. Mine was in almost perfect condition. And yep, good guess, Army Blackhawk pilot here.
Just out of curiosity. Which site did you sell yours on? Thanks for the response. Btw, I spent 3 years in the 7th Air Cavalry from 87-90 at Ft. Hood. We had Hueys, Cobras, and Scouts when I was there. That was my favorite assignment of my career.

Attachments

• IMG_3604.jpeg
    IMG_3604.jpeg
    628.5 KB · Views: 13