Weatherby .224 Magnum Mark V Varmitmaster.

Timothey101

Hi, I'm new to the forum and need some assistance if anyone is familiar with Weatherby rifles; I am not, but am learning. I recently acquired my first Weatherby rifle and am looking for info about it. It is a Weatherby .224 Magnum Varmitmaster bolt action rifle with a 24" barrel. It has "Made in W. Germany" stamped on the barrel near the receiver and has a unique serial number. Per the Weatherby website all of the first production .224 caliber rifles, which started in 1963 have serial numbers all starting with an "S" prefix, but this one has no prefix (1116). It is in gorgeous condition and appears to have never been fired or at least very little. It also came with two boxes of original ammo and the original scope mounts are in tact. Could this possibly be a pre-production or prototype? I have attached some pictures of it for your review and a picture of a note from the original owner, a soldier who was stationed in Germany in the early 1960s. Thanks in advance for any ideas or commentary.

Attachments

• IMG_6333.jpeg
    IMG_6333.jpeg
    69.8 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_6330.jpeg
    IMG_6330.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 171
  • IMG_6327.jpeg
    IMG_6327.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 162
  • IMG_6328.jpeg
    IMG_6328.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 158
  • IMG_6329.jpeg
    IMG_6329.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 157
  • IMG_6326.jpeg
    IMG_6326.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 159
  • IMG_6325.jpeg
    IMG_6325.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 156
  • IMG_6324.jpeg
    IMG_6324.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 145
  • IMG_6323.jpeg
    IMG_6323.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 165
  • IMG_6322.jpeg
    IMG_6322.jpeg
    298.4 KB · Views: 185
I've got Mark V deluxe Weatherbys in 240, 257, 6.5-300, 270, 300, 30-378, 340, 338-378, 378, 416, and 460, all Left Hand except for two Varmintmasters in 22-250 and 224. All of the Varmintmasters have 1:14 twist barrels, so you're a bit limited on shooting bullets over 55 grains.

I recall seeing at least one other Varmintmaster with a non-S serial number come up for sale on GunBroker in years past. Unfortunately, I don't know any specific details about them.

The Varmintmaster action was also used to make the very limited production single shot silhouette pistols, but I am not sure if those were S serial number actions or not.

My German 224 shoots MOA at 100 with 50gr Speer TNT bullets, however with the larger calibers, I usually get the best groups with Barnes bullets. I imagine that might be due to the Weatherby free bore and Barnes bullets working well with a jump to the rifling.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

I've got Mark V deluxe Weatherbys in 240, 257, 6.5-300, 270, 300, 30-378, 340, 338-378, 378, 416, and 460, all Left Hand except for two Varmintmasters in 22-250 and 224. All of the Varmintmasters have 1:14 twist barrels, so you're a bit limited on shooting bullets over 55 grains.

I recall seeing at least one other Varmintmaster with a non-S serial number come up for sale on GunBroker in years past. Unfortunately, I don't know any specific details about them.

The Varmintmaster action was also used to make the very limited production single shot silhouette pistols, but I am not sure if those were S serial number actions or not.

My German 224 shoots MOA at 100 with 50gr Speer TNT bullets, however with the larger calibers, I usually get the best groups with Barnes bullets. I imagine that might be due to the Weatherby free bore and Barnes bullets working well with a jump to the rifling.

Tony Rumore
Tromix
Thanks for the reply Tony and you have a nice collection. I am left handed myself. I just recently had a nice Vortex 2-9x40 scope put on it using Luepold rings. It's a pretty sharp setup now.

The letter in front of numbers came around 1964. I have a 1959 Mark V Deluxe in 300WBY and it does not have a letter prefix, but mine is much higher number. I also noticed your safety is on the bolt, which means it was sent back to Weatherby to be converted.
Send an email to weatherby with the serial number and they will tell you more information. I sent them my numbers on a few rifles and they replied withing a day or two.

The letter in front of numbers came around 1964. I have a 1959 Mark V Deluxe in 300WBY and it does not have a letter prefix, but mine is much higher number. I also noticed your safety is on the bolt, which means it was sent back to Weatherby to be converted.
Send an email to weatherby with the serial number and they will tell you more information. I sent them my numbers on a few rifles and they replied withing a day or two.
Thanks for the advice and info. And I will contact Weatherby next week and ask them about the serial number. I had no idea about the safety on the bolt, but I just looked at it and you are correct, it is on the bolt. Does this safety modification devalue the gun or enhance it? Any ideas or thoughts on it? I would think it would make it more unique. The gentleman I recently got it from inherited it from his father-in-law who has passed away. The father-in-law was a soldier stationed in Kirchgoens, West Germany who purchased it new with scope and rings in December 1963. The gentleman does have the original scope and rings, but has put it on another gun he owns; a Husquvarna .243. I was thinking about offering to buy him a brand new scope and rings in exchange for the original Redfield scope and rings that came with the gun. That way I can restore it to the original configuration as it was when it was new. It also came with 2 boxes of original unfired .224 Weatherby Magnum ammo. And apparently one of these gentlemen had purchased several additional boxes of newer ammo for it (also came with the gun), but as I look at these newer boxes, they are 224 Valkyrie and appear to be a totally different round (5 boxes of 224 Valkyrie total).

I agree and I'm also a Weatherby nut who's left handed. However, if it were mine, she wouldn't be a safe queen. It's only money and when you die it'll go to the highest bidder. Enjoy it while you can.
We are left handed in a right handed world. When I was in Basic Training in the Army, on the firing ranges, the brass would eject from my M-16 and burn my cheek. The Drill Sergeant had me install a brass deflector, but all it did was cause my weapon to jam causing me to always have to take alibis to qualify. Also, the firing lanes were all cut, angled, and designed for a right hander.

I am seriously thinking about taking it out to the range and shooting a few through it just to see how it shoots. Thanks for the commentary.

Thanks for the advice and info. And I will contact Weatherby next week and ask them about the serial number. I had no idea about the safety on the bolt, but I just looked at it and you are correct, it is on the bolt. Does this safety modification devalue the gun or enhance it? Any ideas or thoughts on it? I would think it would make it more unique. The gentleman I recently got it from inherited it from his father-in-law who has passed away. The father-in-law was a soldier stationed in Kirchgoens, West Germany who purchased it new with scope and rings in December 1963. The gentleman does have the original scope and rings, but has put it on another gun he owns; a Husquvarna .243. I was thinking about offering to buy him a brand new scope and rings in exchange for the original Redfield scope and rings that came with the gun. That way I can restore it to the original configuration as it was when it was new. It also came with 2 boxes of original unfired .224 Weatherby Magnum ammo. And apparently one of these gentlemen had purchased several additional boxes of newer ammo for it (also came with the gun), but as I look at these newer boxes, they are 224 Valkyrie and appear to be a totally different round (5 boxes of 224 Valkyrie total).
I would thing it adds to the value. The first generation German (mine is) had a trigger made of "pot metal" (mine is) and those started falling apart (mine is still fine). Also had the safety on the tang (mine still does). Most have been replaced with updated trigger and safety (yours looks like that). Mine was also bought by a soldier stationed in W. Germany and it still wears the "Weatherby" branded scope, its a 2-7 power. It is very accurate, but I retired it, and replaced it with a couple of newer WBY MKV. If I were you I would try and get the original scope, or find one on ebay. just MHO though.

I would thing it adds to the value. The first generation German (mine is) had a trigger made of "pot metal" (mine is) and those started falling apart (mine is still fine). Also had the safety on the tang (mine still does). Most have been replaced with updated trigger and safety (yours looks like that). Mine was also bought by a soldier stationed in W. Germany and it still wears the "Weatherby" branded scope, its a 2-7 power. It is very accurate, but I retired it, and replaced it with a couple of newer WBY MKV. If I were you I would try and get the original scope, or find one on ebay. just MHO though.
Great ideas and information. These are things the novice, like me, have no idea about. Thanks for sharing. If I can't persuade him to do a trade for the original scope and rings, I will look on ebay and try to get one them. Do you know what type of scope rings the gun came with when it was new? The ones I just purchased for it are Leupold. Will they be okay with a Redfield scope as far as getting is as original as possible? Thanks again.

My scope looks like this except it is a 2-7 power, abd both windage and elevation are no top.
That's a very nice scope. The original scope the came on this gun was a Redfield 3x-9x. So, I looked on eBay and found a couple of original Redfield scopes from the 1960s that will work and they are not priced that bad. Thanks again for the insight.

That's a very nice scope. The original scope the came on this gun was a Redfield 3x-9x. So, I looked on eBay and found a couple of original Redfield scopes from the 1960s that will work and they are not priced that bad. Thanks again for the insight.
Timithey101, you can also take a look at WWW.vintageriflescopes.com. The inventory changes from time to time. Sometimes they have vintage new, used and refurbished. Contact them, they are a good source.

Also, I see you are new to the forum. Welcome to the forum from the Florida Georgia Line