Weatherby Mark V "Hunter"

Hummm, I find it kinda hard to "bad mouth" Bergara rifles. Here's is a 50 yd reduced for shooting at 50 ft.(small bore). Being shot at 100 yds. Just breaking in, under 100 rds. HMR-PRO 300 WM
Nice!

And for sure, I've heard tons of great stuff about bergaras and met many happy owners…but it doesn't take that many bad experiences to stay stuck in my head haha…and I just haven't heard of as many of those with wby that's all. Odds are the OP can't really choose wrong on this one…,

I'm a big fan of the 300 win mag too, single most useful North American hunting round as far as I'm concerned, I'll never not have one. Mine at present is a savage 111 Long Range Hunter model that I really can't complain about though appearance wise it sure is ugly beside either bergaras or weatherbys. But it shoots!

The hunter model seems to be a really good value rifle in the mark v lineup similar to the weathermark models. I've not owned one, i've shouldered a couple in cabelas/bass pro just fooling around and they handle nice. If it's not a classic model i'm collecting i stick with LH rifles now for myself with enough offerings i'm to old to keep settling for shooting RH rifles - lol.

I'm a huge backcountry fan but i love a fluted LW hunting rifle - it blows up my skirt! :) The creedmoor in the hunter model would be a great choice IMO hard all around cartridge's to beat. If you get one i'll bet good money it wont be your last! ;) Good luck, i had a pretty good collection going and now some would say i've lost my mind with it, but i have 6 kids 4 are boys they will all acquire some fine rifles one day.

Don't overlook a good weatherby chambering 240 all the way to 340 some really good options being in texas medium sized game 240-257 (all time fav) 270 and 6.5rpm are some fun rounds. The ram in my photo was shot with 240, it's a killing machine!
Barrel, action & trigger, yeah.

Stock not even close!
While the Hunters stock is adequately stiff, it has a shiny, plasticy look and feel to it.

Really, the trigger & stock on the other Mark V models are what really sets them apart.
If not a Mark V, then i'd go after a Tikka for their smooth as butter action & their accuracy.

Weatherby is one of the last of the great American rifle producers, most have moved production overseas. For that reason alone, I was more than happy to support their move to Wyoming by purchasing a rifle with the WYO serial #. Every hunter should own at least one Weatherby Mark V rifle.

Im just trying to interject a bit of humor so please allow this. This kind of reminds me of the mid 60's when Mustang had a BOSS 302, and Camero had a Z28 302, and Plymouth and Dodge also had some small block Motor, and every 16-year-old kid would lay awake at night, Reading HOT ROD and MOTOR TREND and seriously wondering.... "Which one must I get!!??!!" Here we all are, still wondering. It is now, as it was then, a VERY important decision. I really wish you good luck buddy, (and in 1966, I bought a 66 GTO!! ) I may grow older, but I'll never grow up!!!

I have a Bergara HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor and it shoots though the same hole at 100 and 200 yards if I do my part, the HMR is a bit heavy for lugging around at altitude approaches 12 lbs with glass. But the Weatherby Hunter is a model in 6.5 Creedmoor should give you equivalent accuracy at about 6.1 lbs. I'm also looking at the hunter if you want a bit more oomph look at the 6.5 RPM still at a weight of 6.2lbs, gives a lot more performance.
I have 6.5 rpm in mk v accumark shoots weatherby ammo 12 lrx just under 1/2" off sand bags at 100 yds. More oomph than some other 6.5's it's only been shot (8) eight times and has two deer to it's credit pretty easy to sight it in. I like it a lot Tribb p.s. bought a bergara b14 in 270 win for grandson shoots 3/4 " with factoryfederal fusion. great little $600. 00 rifle

Im just trying to interject a bit of humor so please allow this. This kind of reminds me of the mid 60's when Mustang had a BOSS 302, and Camero had a Z28 302, and Plymouth and Dodge also had some small block Motor, and every 16-year-old kid would lay awake at night, Reading HOT ROD and MOTOR TREND and seriously wondering.... "Which one must I get!!??!!" Here we all are, still wondering. It is now, as it was then, a VERY important decision. I really wish you good luck buddy, (and in 1966, I bought a 66 GTO!! ) I may grow older, but I'll never grow up!!!
oh the classics, we could hijack the thread with this! 69 judge maybe the sexiest car on the planet. All that said my mom and dad made the decision to buy me a 1967 RS Camaro not stock 327 boy those were some of the best years of my life and i had the tickets to prove it!! ;)

can anyone give me any feed back on the .240 Weatherby Cartridge............... Other question I had was What is free bore and do all Mark V rifles have it

can anyone give me any feed back on the .240 Weatherby Cartridge............... Other question I had was What is free bore and do all Mark V rifles have it
I have one, the freebore in a 240 is .169
Mine as we speak is getting a new barrel put on it. I wanted a faster twist to be able to shoot 110 and 115gr bullets. What information are you wanting to know.

I have several - my wife and i use them often for medium sized game. She shoots 100 grain partitions (factory) and i shoot 90 grain scirocco hand loads. Great round, if you wish to shoot i advise to use premium bullets made to withstand high velocities. Much like the 257's we shoot as well - they hit hard, most drop dead few do not run far. But mind you we shoot deer average 100lbs in central texas - so i keep things into perspective. Has become one of my favorites.

New starting out and was looking at the Weatherby Mark V Hunter in the 6.5 Cm Everything about the rifle fits what im looking for. Weight, LOP, and Price Does anyone out there have or know anything about the Model from Weatherby. I have also been looking at the Bergara Mountain 2.0 but its about $600 more. The biggest issue is my LOP being 6'5" I like a LOP of 13 7/8
Any feed back on this rifle would be appreciated
I have the accumark chambered in 6.5. CM and it is fantastic. Shoots sub .50 moa. Great purchase.

Love the 240 Weatherby, mine is a German made gun on a full sized MarkV action. It's wearing a Krieger 7.5 twist barrel now. For deer sized stuff and large varmints, it will really lay the smack down! What's not to like… high velocities with a flat trajectory with very little recoil. The only drawback is the price and scarcity of brass.

70 Boss 302 in the garage that I bought when I was 18. Looking at Weatherby's now for hunting rifle

Attachments

• Boss_2.jpg
    Boss_2.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 22