Mark V 300 WBY

PMCHERRY

Need advice, I'm about to rebarrel a Mark V 300 WBY that is shot out at a little over 1800 rounds. I'm getting older, with bad shoulders, and recoil is starting to bother me some, even with a break. This will be an elk gun and I'm needing suggestions on a cartridge. I have a couple of 280AI that I could use, everything else I have is smaller, but just trying to come up with ideas on what to do with this Mark V. I thought about the 7mm WBY but I already have the two 280AI's. I do have a lot of 270 WBY brass but thought it to be a less than desirable elk cartridge. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Need advice, I'm about to rebarrel a Mark V 300 WBY that is shot out at a little over 1800 rounds. I'm getting older, with bad shoulders, and recoil is starting to bother me some, even with a break. This will be an elk gun and I'm needing suggestions on a cartridge. I have a couple of 280AI that I could use, everything else I have is smaller, but just trying to come up with ideas on what to do with this Mark V. I thought about the 7mm WBY but I already have the two 280AI's. I do have a lot of 270 WBY brass but thought it to be a less than desirable elk cartridge. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Here's a thought…you already have a ton of
.270 wby brass….how about a faster than standard twist barrel in .270 wby. With the 160-175 grain bullets now available because
Of the .27 Nosler and 6.8 western the .270 weatherby would in no way be deficient as an elk cartridge.

Here's a thought…you already have a ton of
.270 wby brass….how about a faster than standard twist barrel in .270 wby. With the 160-175 grain bullets now available because
Of the .27 Nosler and 6.8 western the .270 weatherby would in no way be deficient as an elk cartridge.
The more I think about it, the more I like this idea.

The 27 Nosler may not feed. Hav a problem with a model 70 264 mag. Rebarreld to 26 Nosler. Gunsmith is cussing. Won't feed hard time mak it work. Still haven't got it back.

But back to the fast twist .270 wby…the additional perk of doing this on the .300
Wby action is gobs of room to
Seat bullets loooong. Put a brake on a .270 weatherby and guarantee your shoulder will be just fine, should be a real sweetheart.

I rebarreled mine with a 7mm rem mag bartlein 1:9. It consistently shoots 0.5 moa @ 600yds.
Plenty of brass available, not too bad on recoil and great for elk.

6554DB57-896E-40A2-B1FC-B602F0389B4A.jpeg
14522414-49FD-4F73-B03D-F52D144F243E.jpeg

But back to the fast twist .270 wby…the additional perk of doing this on the .300
Wby action is gobs of room to
Seat bullets loooong. Put a brake on a .270 weatherby and guarantee your shoulder will be just fine, should be a real sweetheart.
I'm leaning toward the 270 WBY since I have a couple of hundred rounds of live ammo and lots of brass. Is there any load data on the 270 WBY running heavy bullets or will I have to wing it?