Mark V 300 WBY

I love the cartridge but my shoulders are telling me no. If I can't come up with another idea, I may go back with a 300 WBY and look for a more effective brake.
I have a 300 Weatherby Lazermark that when it was purchased I had a KDF muzzlebreak added to it. I think it was one of my wiser choices and now 30 years later is is milder than the 243 recoil that it was guaranteed to have...keep the cartridge...muzzle brake the barrel is the moral of this story...

I'm leaning toward the 270 WBY since I have a couple of hundred rounds of live ammo and lots of brass. Is there any load data on the 270 WBY running heavy bullets or will I have to wing it?
Win win situation! I like.

Hodgdon and Nosler have data for the 160 partition. Not as heavy as a 170 Berger eol or such BUT is a much heavier jacket and a longer bearing surface…if you start at their bottom end you should be absolutely fine.

Here's a thought…you already have a ton of
.270 wby brass….how about a faster than standard twist barrel in .270 wby. With the 160-175 grain bullets now available because
Of the .27 Nosler and 6.8 western the .270 weatherby would in no way be deficient as an elk cartridge.
What he said, absolutely, positively, yes, yes, and yes!!

Need advice, I'm about to rebarrel a Mark V 300 WBY that is shot out at a little over 1800 rounds. I'm getting older, with bad shoulders, and recoil is starting to bother me some, even with a break. This will be an elk gun and I'm needing suggestions on a cartridge. I have a couple of 280AI that I could use, everything else I have is smaller, but just trying to come up with ideas on what to do with this Mark V. I thought about the 7mm WBY but I already have the two 280AI's. I do have a lot of 270 WBY brass but thought it to be a less than desirable elk cartridge. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I had a brake put on my Browning AB3 in 300 WM by Americas Gunsmiths a couple of years ago. Louis was the gunsmith that I worked with. My specs were pretty simple, used for prone shooting so no gas discharge out the bottom. He found a brake and installed it, cost about $200 and it cut the recoil down to about that of a .243. My girlfriend is 5'4", weighs 120 and much prefers shooting the 300 WM to the 270 that she says kicks a lot harder than the 300. Give America's Gunsmiths a call. They have recently moved or are in the process of moving from Kenosha to Burlington, WI. They can best advise what to do with about anything you want to do with any firearm.

If you want to go down from the 300 wby in recoil, and elk are the goal it seems obvious 7mm wby is the way to go. Forget about the 6.5-300 and .270. Also stick with a wby cartridge in a mkv

I Rebarreled my 300 to 270 weatherby with a 1-8.5 twist and love it. It shoots berger 170's great with half the recoil of the 300. It also shoots 133 shock hammers @ 100 .520 using mag pro powder. Again its like shooting a light weight 270 Winchester. In addition it makes a fine Elk gun. You won't regret it. (barrel is a benchmark #3)

Hi PM, I am right behind you. I also have a Mark V in 300 Weatherby Mag from the 70's I bought it used and it has a mag-na- ported barrel. I had Iron sights and a Barrel band installed many years ago. This week I am having a new softer Recoil pad installed, because the factory original one is about 40 years old, and stiff. The most important thing I ever did to enjoy shooting this rifle was to make a mild load that shot well. The picture below is group from 1992, a mild load using 77.0 grns of H 4831. I forget what bullet I used back then. Most likely a 165 or a 180 grn Sierra GK. Loaded to mild 300 Win Mag velocities, about 2800 fps , the big 10 pound rifle shot well off the bench. Back then I either used my Leupold 2.5X to 8X ,or the Leupold 3.5X to 10X . You really don't NEED to make maxed out killer loads , just to enjoy shooting the gun or kill an elk. Plenty of elk get killed with 30-06 or 300 Win loads. Now that I am retired, its time to take it to the range again and enjoy it. At 73 I am no fan of recoil and I really put a lot of rounds through my Mark V in 270 Weatherby Mag every year. With the original Weatherby factory barrel, I max out at bullet weight with the 150 Grn Nosler ABLR. That Mark V rifle shot excellent and I used it at Bang Steel shooting school to 1200 Yards on steel.

Attachments

• IMG_3074300 Weatherby mag Group 1992.jpg
    IMG_3074300 Weatherby mag Group 1992.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 35
  • 300 Weatherby Mag 2.5 to 8 leupold.jpg
    300 Weatherby Mag 2.5 to 8 leupold.jpg
    917.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Hi PM, I am right behind you. I also have a Mark V in 300 Weatherby Mag from the 70's I bought it used and it has a mag-na- ported barrel. I had Iron sights and a Barrel band installed many years ago. This week I am having a new softer Recoil pad installed, because the factory original one is about 40 years old, and stiff. The most important thing I ever did to enjoy shooting this rifle was to make a mild load that shot well. The picture below is group from 1992, a mild load using 77.0 grns of H 4831. I forget what bullet I used back then. Most likely a 165 or a 180 grn Sierra GK. Loaded to mild 300 Win Mag velocities, about 2800 fps , the big 10 pound rifle shot well off the bench. Back then I either used my Leupold 2.5X to 8X ,or the Leupold 3.5X to 10X . You really don't NEED to make maxed out killer loads , just to enjoy shooting the gun or kill an elk. Plenty of elk get killed with 30-06 or 300 Win loads. Now that I am retired, its time to take it to the range again and enjoy it. At 73 I am no fan of recoil and I really put a lot of rounds through my Mark V in 270 Weatherby Mag every year. With the original Weatherby factory barrel, I max out at bullet weight with the 150 Grn Nosler ABLR. That Mark V rifle shot excellent and I used it at Bang Steel shooting school to 1200 Yards on steel.
As much as I hate this (what's the point of having a .300 weatherby just to shoot like a .30-06?) I realize there's good wisdom in this…moreover I must embarrassingly admit I once worked up a load with the 180 ballistic tip in my .300 win mag…it was shooting cloverleafs and I was all happy and had it zeroed for deer hunting, only to get bent out of shape for a moment when I saw the chronograph later: 2800 fps. I was bummed out for a minute. That's just .30-06 power and this is a .300 magnum dang it!!!!!

Then i came to my senses quickly….this is still overkill for deer haha. And its
Shooting sub 1/2 inch. Leave it the heck alone and go hunt!

The 270 WBY with the 170 gr offerings or Hammer make superior elk rifles, I'll take it every day of the week and twice on Sunday over the 7mm and 300!
This makes sense if recoil is the main factor. The 7mm wby has more bullet options-

To me it seems as if the 7mm is a good caliber to draw the line for a DEDICATED ELK cartridge.

This makes sense if recoil is the main factor. The 7mm wby has more bullet options-

To me it seems as if the 7mm is a good caliber to draw the line for a DEDICATED ELK cartridge.
More bullet options just means they haven't made the best bullet yet, I don't need a plethora of bullet options if the bullet that are made are right. I only use one or two bullets in each cal anyway. Many guys use 6.5's and 270's as elk guns, I used a 270 WSM for quite a few years with 165+ gr matrix now theb170 Berger, liked it much more than my 300 or 28 Nosler. Shot a pile of elk with a 6.5 SS.
I have 1 7mm left and then I'll never have to build one again, that'll be a great day!!