Weatherby Mark V "Hunter"

70 Boss 302 in the garage that I bought when I was 18. Looking at Weatherby's now for hunting rifle
Many moons ago we had a wall paper guy (obviously a great buiz years ago) had like 6 Shelby mustangs, what all those cars if they still had them would be worth today!

That boss was sexy - my hs friend had a 69 fastback, I had a 67rs camero, we had a little crew in town with: 55 bel air, 70 cuda and a 69 (I believe) Chevy step side pu that was a hot rod itself!

Wish we could go back to cheap gas and American muscle!

I was a GOAT guy,, in the 60's and then as I aged, and aged, and aged, ( Uggh ) I became a corvette guy, But I love your Stang!!

Me too!! No apologies, and nothing against my Rem, or Wins, or Savage, But I really like the Mark V Rifles. Clearly not a Classic Stock design, but very well thought out, and they look great. Shoot Great too!! I liked them in 1973 , and I like them today!!

I have several Weatherby Mark 5's. Never shot a 240. I have really been thinking about adding one of the Backcountry 2 TI Carbon 6.5 Rpm's but I can't get my hands on one to just feel it. Photos appear to have a very short stock and an inadequate fore stock. Does anybody have one and have a problem with the stock's length? Let me know if you do.

Another vote for the Mark V hunter.
Ive owned several weatherby rifles, and the mark v hunter is one of the better handling rifles in its class, to me.
I just wish they'd put a little faster twist on the 280AI
Yeah, with everyone else using 1:9-1:9.5 twist barrels, why the heck Weatherby still sticks to a 1:10 for their 7mms is beyond me!

I was looking at the Mark V Hunter in 280AI for my first Mark V.
But the more i handled them, the more i disliked the stock.
I saved up a couple hundred bucks more & got a Mark V Weathermark LT in 7mm WBY.

Then a used Mark V Ultra Lightweight in 257 WBY kinda fell in my lap.

Followed a couple weeks later by a German Made Mark V Deluxe in "Weatherby 300 Magnum ".

The Trigger Tech trigger on the newer models is awsome!!

But the freebore on the magnums is long. While you can load out to the lands, and it fits the magazine, you can't then eject a loaded round. At least not without pulling the bolt.
Which requires depressing the trigger.
How do you like the Weathermark, in 7mm Weatherby? I really have wanted the 7mm Weatherby but am concerned with the 1:10 twist rate for heavier bullets, have you reloaded any for this rifle? What I would like to load is either the 7mm 175 grn Eld-x but specs states need a 1:8.5 twist rate or the 7mm long range accubonds.

How do you like the Weathermark, in 7mm Weatherby? I really have wanted the 7mm Weatherby but am concerned with the 1:10 twist rate for heavier bullets, have you reloaded any for this rifle? What I would like to load is either the 7mm 175 grn Eld-x but specs states need a 1:8.5 twist rate or the 7mm long range accubonds.
I really like the Weathermark.
But like any light rifle with a stout cartridge, it's got some recoil.
I tease that I bought an $1,800 muzzle brake and got a rifle with it. Lol

I don't shoot factory ammo aside from 22 rimfire & shotgun.
I reload for anything else.

I managed to snag some Peterson cases.
Fed 215M primers.
175gr ABLR over RL26.
Recoil is STOUT! But accuracy is very good for a light rifle out to 600 yards.

My other load is 160gr Sierra SPBT GameKing over RL23.
Recoil much lighter, and still accurate to 600 yards. (Furthest I've shot this rifle so far)

I also have a Mark V Ultra Lightweight in 257WBY.
Got a deal on 8lb of Vihtavouri N555.
And 4lbs of Ramshot LRT to try in both.

Last edited:
For those of you considering a Mark V Hunter in 7mm Bee, pay close attention to the specific one you are looking at. I've seen some being sold that have a 1:10 twist but more lately, I've seen them in 1:9 twist. I've reached out to Weatherby directly awhile ago to get clarification but never got a reply. I reload and given the pressure limits on the 7mm Bee and the newer 1:9 twist, the Hunter may be the complete package.

Recently purchased a Mk V Hunter in 240. Kings XKG camo. I measured the twist, was expecting 1 in 10 and it measured 1 in 8, twice. May have to check again to make sure. I really like the rifle. Stock feels good and really easy to carry. Shoots well too.