VX3HD opinions

I just installed a VX5 (3-15) on a new rifle. Haven't sighted it in yet, but I will say this. I got the wind reticle. I do not think the firedot belongs on a scope you intend to dial for range. Scopes with the firedot should be capped and sighted in for max point blank range or less. Great choice in the woods though.
Totally disagree with the need for the firedot. First off, you can turn it off! Second, It turns down so dim that you can't see it until its almost dark. I'm wondering if you have ever looked at one. When I'm trying to hit a deer facing west against a wood line on big field near the end of shooting time the thing is great. When facing west you can see the deer but have trouble seeing cross hair against the black background. You might be young, but older eyes don't adjust to dark background as well as they did fourty or fifty years ago.

Totally disagree with the need for the firedot. First off, you can turn it off! Second, It turns down so dim that you can't see it until its almost dark. I'm wondering if you have ever looked at one. When I'm trying to hit a deer facing west against a wood line on big field near the end of shooting time the thing is great. When facing west you can see the deer but have trouble seeing cross hair against the black background. You might be young, but older eyes don't adjust to dark background as well as they did fourty or fifty years ago.
EXACTERY!

I love the Firedot reticle. I tend to agree with the long range limitations when it comes to holding for windage. I still can't bring myself to replacing a VXR on my whitetail woods rifle. It is a set and leave it setup. The VX5HD also has the Firedot, but is used for longer range. I've been very fortunate to never had problems with Leupold scopes. I lost count on the number I have owned. Trying a Zeiss V6 now and so far so good, but I miss illumination. Next scope will be alpha level, not because I really need it, but you only live once.

I love the Firedot reticle. I tend to agree with the long range limitations when it comes to holding for windage. I still can't bring myself to replacing a VXR on my whitetail woods rifle. It is a set and leave it setup. The VX5HD also has the Firedot, but is used for longer range. I've been very fortunate to never had problems with Leupold scopes. I lost count on the number I have owned. Trying a Zeiss V6 now and so far so good, but I miss illumination. Next scope will be alpha level, not because I really need it, but you only live once.
My luck, I would buy a TT or ZCO and be like...dang. Should have stayed with the Leup...

I do like how you think, I tell my wife. "Tomorrow is Never Promised" and "I don't need this, I deserve this!"

I'm telling you what looking through a Heritage premiere (tt before tt) near 15 years ago was a landmark optics experience for me, one of the few times optical characteristics were so stark it was hard to describe. Granted the gap isn't as wide these days.

There is no step down in glass from the VX6 to VX5. They use the exact same glass and coatings.
It's kind of funny that you can often find vx6 scopes on sale for vx5 prices but I don't find vx5 scopes on sale too often. Maybe not looking in the right places?

The firedot is another tool in the tool bag. Well built beyond a bench shooters needs!

The VX3 1.5 X to 5 X , with 30mm main tube and the 3X to 15X , 30mm main tube are both lighted, but not with a Dot; the cross hairs in the very center light up, if you turn them on. Still in Load Development so I have not used that feature yet. I think it could be a benefit come hunting season at dusk , or , in the case of the 1.5X a wooded aera.