VX3HD opinions

I've had more than a few VX3's over the years and never had a problem and they were not babied. I do like the 30mm tube version on my Browning X-Bolt 7mm-08 whitetail rifle.

A friend has one on a 6.5 PRC. It ran out of elevation at just under 700 yards. For the price and weight, it is a great hunting scope. It is probably the next scope I will buy.

Long time Leupold fan and supporter. They top most of my rifles. I have a VX6-HD on my Cooper 300 WM. I have a VX5-HD on my Bergara 6.5 PRC and I have the VX3-HD on my Browning 30-06. I absolutely LOVE the VX3-HD on my 30-06 Browning hunting rifle. Excellent low light scope. crystal clear. Excellent in wet weather and doesn't fog up. I highly recommend this scope! I sell scope and rifles and when people ask for my advise and recommendations, I steer them towards the Leupold lines and I have never had a complaint and I get a lot of repeat buyers!

I just installed a VX5 (3-15) on a new rifle. Haven't sighted it in yet, but I will say this. I got the wind reticle. I do not think the firedot belongs on a scope you intend to dial for range. Scopes with the firedot should be capped and sighted in for max point blank range or less. Great choice in the woods though.
The firedot just illuminates the intersection of the cross hairs. Has nothing to do with range. The CDS dial eliminates the need for a ranging reticle like mil-dot or a tree style reticle.

Vx-iii, vx-3, vx-3i, and now the 3hd have the same exact erector ratios and to my knowledge the same internals. The changes over generations have been in the extern coatings the lense coatings and the physical presentation of the turret. Right now there is some amalgamation of vxr tech being rolled into both vx freedom and some iterations of the vx and mark 3 hd lines.

Leupold does some squirrely stuff and the absolute entrenchment to minimal update with each lineage even with price hikes is one of my biggest head scratcher. That said it doesn't take away from what they are, namely the best choice for a set and forget ultralight compact hunting optic. I've had a few and all were great scopes... but I never dialed them. The amount of objective data with the vx3 lines struggling over time with robust dialing is far past anecdotal. So if you get one that wanders when adjusted you won't be the first person to experience that...

But hey, everything has its purpose just be honest about what you need it for and buy accordingly. If heavy twisting is the goal, there are better options. Conversely there is almost nothing else even in the category for a point and click mountain gun. (Well swaro z3, and maybe accupoint for just a smidgen more $$$)

The firedot just illuminates the intersection of the cross hairs. Has nothing to do with range. The CDS dial eliminates the need for a ranging reticle like mil-dot or a tree style reticle.
Maybe I am missing something.. but I'm not sure I'm following you on how the CDS would eliminate the need for a ranging style reticle. Could you elaborate?

The CDS simply gives you certain markings (ranges) on your elevation turret for a particular cartridge, bullet, average muzzle velocity, average altitude, etc.

You would still need to know the distance - via either a known distance, range finder ranged distance, or via distance obtained through a ranging reticle - before being able to dial in elevation on the scope through the CDS.

Maybe I am missing something.. but I'm not sure I'm following you on how the CDS would eliminate the need for a ranging style reticle. Could you elaborate?

The CDS simply gives you certain markings (ranges) on your elevation turret for a particular cartridge, bullet, average muzzle velocity, average altitude, etc.

You would still need to know the distance - via either a known distance, range finder ranged distance, or via distance obtained through a ranging reticle - before being able to dial in elevation on the scope through the CDS.
Correct. I guess I should have been saying ballistic drop reticle. Laser range finder has been a staple and thus assumed piece of kit. What I don't get is Orange dust saying the firedot has something to do with range/ballistic reticle.

Last edited:
Correct. I guess I should have been saying ballistic drop reticle. Laser range finder has been a staple and thus assumed piece of kit. What I don't get is Orange dust saying the firedot has something to do with range/ballistic reticle.

Gotcha! Thanks for clarifying.

As for @Orange Dust 's comment - I think he was saying he does NOT believe the firedot should be on a ranging / ballistic reticle. The way I read it, he is saying a firedot should be on a "set it and forget it" scope where range is limited (doesn't require elevation dialing) and conditions likely not always favorable to thin crosshair (dark wood, dense stuff, etc.).

Gotcha! Thanks for clarifying.

As for @Orange Dust 's comment - I think he was saying he does NOT believe the firedot should be on a ranging / ballistic reticle. The way I read it, he is saying a firedot should be on a "set it and forget it" scope where range is limited (doesn't require elevation dialing) and conditions likely not always favorable to thin crosshair (dark wood, dense stuff, etc.).
Yes, it is that part that baffles me. The dot just illumintes the center of the cross hairs to see in lower light conditions.

While i've not played with the dot at distance i could see that being something that when illuminated on high (seems this varies from generation of scope - my vx6's are very clear dot and 5's can be bright - just me?) Anyway when looking at a smaller object at several hundred yards vs low light at under 200. I like the ilum reticle concept with my aging eyes especially for everyday hunting. Worked out well the other morning shooting a black hog, under a canopy of trees in tall grass in the wee hours of the morning and all i could really see was a shadow moving around, couldn't see the crosshairs on him at all - turn on the light and well he's no longer with us! :)

Something tells me I would not want to downgrade the VX5HD glass. I am so very impressed with the 5 glass.
Agreed. I'm spoiled by VX6's. I shot a VX3 and vx5 on a friends gun.

It seems the step down from vx6 to vx5 isn't as big as the step down from vx5 to vx3.

The vx3 is fine and good glass for the $. If that was my budget, I'd buy it. But I'm a Leupold fan.

OOPS I forgot to mention the VX 3 I used the most. The 2.5X to 8X with a 42 or 44mm Objective lens, on a 1 inch main tube. Weight about 12 ounces . I had that on my Ultralight for many ,many years. As I got older, I had trouble seeing horns at 100 yards about 5;45 pm to 6 pm, in the hills of West Virginia. I also used to change scopes and put a VX3 in 4.5X to 14 X , also 1inch main tube, on it when I hunted Kentucky, and bring the 2.5 to 8X as a back up scope in case of an accident . So this year, I put the new VX5HD, 3X to 15 X , with a 30mm main tube, on that rifle. Yes, a Lighted reticle. I hope this new scope will cover most my shooting situations. I don't think Ill have to change scopes if I go to a state where the shots at deer , are expected to be longer. For me 300 yards with my 270 is about it. !!!

Recent Posts