VV Data, 30-06 with Berger Bullets

CKyleC

I have some N160 that I'm going to try to work up a good 30-06 load with Berger bullets.

Currently, my only source for data for VV powder with Berger bullets is online. I will be rectifying that as soon as possible.

So, here's my issue....

When you pull up VV online load data for 30-06 with N160 they do list 168 Berger classic hunter and 180 elite hunter. I have both of these bullets and planned on working with both. 168 Classic Hunter with N160 max charge is 58.6 for a velocity of 2854. 180 Elite Hunter with N160 shows a max charge of 60.3 for a velocity of 2828.

Is bearing surface making THAT big of a difference? Neither is listed as a compressed load. I know, start low work up. I just find it odd that the bullet that is 12gr heavier has a non-compressed max load with the same powder that is heavier.

Again, currently VV online data is my only source for this combo. If I had multiple sources showing this I wouldn't be concerned.

Thanks for the help!!

In short, it certainly can be. It never hurts to drop a couple of grains and shoot it through your chronograph to see how it compares to that published data. Of course you will need to correct your findings to take into account that they were shooting through a 24" barrel and you likely are not.
Some bullets have harder alloys of copper in addition to longer bearing surfaces. In my 20" 30/06 shooting a 180g Sierra TGK it takes 2.4g less powder to achieve the same velocity as a Nosler 180g BT.
Always remember when working up a new load that it is not fashionable to wear any part of your rifle on or in your face. Ever.
Have fun and be safe!

Just got done shooting the 168's. Started at 56 and worked up to 58.5. 58 and 58.5 had decent ES and SD. Need to play with seating depth.

I'll load up some of the 180's and see what happens with those.

Started at 57gr and went up to 59.5 in 0.5gr increments. No pressure signs, I'll work up to the VV max of 60.3 next weekend.

3 shots at 59.5 gr gave 2801fps avg with an ES of 15.6 and an SD of 6.6. It was not the best group on paper.

3 shots at 59gr was the best group on paper. 0.86 center to center. ES 14 SD 6.1 2795.9fps avg.

I know, I know....3 shots. This is a cheap hunting rifle. Marlin XL7 in a Boyd's stock with a meopta 3.5-10. I'm going to load up some more of the 59gr to see what a 10 shot group looks like. Also going to test 60gr, 60.3, and 61gr.