VLD stopping power VS Accubond/TSX

Jeremybj

Ok, I am going to get a 300 Weatherby. I am looking at going with a 190 Berger VLD or a 180 Accubond or TSX. I have read a lot about the VLD's having the best accuracy but I have also read that the VLD's break apart on impact. I am planning on shooting between 300-600+ yards. I am looking to hunt elk and moose with this rifle, so I want something that will knock them over. Would you recommend the VLD or go with the one of the others?

The Berger should do fine but with the distances you are talking about I would prefer the accubond. I have had mixed results with VLD's getting the accuracy/velocity that I wanted and dont see a benefit to the TSX over the accubond due to cost. Any of the three you listed will likely get the job done with good shot placement just pick the one that shoots best in your rifle.

May I suggest the 210 Berger Hunting VLD? They are my choice for many 300 Wins I have put together and the list of game from small deer to Elk I have taken with them is endless. If not I am sure the 190 vld would work well but why not choose the bigger bullet if Elk are on the menu.

Jeff

I have used the 300 Weby for years to take everything from Couse White Tail to Brown bear, my go to load was the 165 Swift Sirocco. I just switched to the 190 Berger VLD and have had great accuracy results (yesterday 3.5 inches at 470 yards). Only one animal with the bullet but worked fine. There is a big energy dump with this bullet much like a ballistic tip. At the ranges you are speaking I would certainly be very comfortable with the load, I will be using it on a trophy Elk hunt this year.

From what I'm gathering, the Accubonds have better kill power. So my next question, will the accubond be able to deliver the accuracy at those ranges to deliver that power?

I wouldn't give the edge to the Accubond, I like both the Berger and the Accubond but they act differently once they start to open. The Berger doesn't just blow on impact it makes it in a couple inches before starting but once it starts it generates a cloud of destruction in the middle, sometimes with and exit sometimes not. The Accubond starts opening at first contact but the bonding keeps it from blowing and it does a mushroom and creates a straighter wound channel and almost all ways exiting. I've found the Bergers more accurate in our 300 WBY Vanguard than the Accubonds, especially the 210gr. With that rifle in that range on elk the Berger would by my go to bullet!!!

I have had very good accuracy with 200gr Accubonds in my 300WM....about .75moa for 9shots (6 at 200 and 3 at 300yds). They perform very well. Even hit a coyote at 220yds and was amazed that they didn't just punch right though...the accubond actually expanded pretty rapidly and dumped a ton of energy.

For absolute terminal performance, I like the Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets. They don't have the higher BC of the A/B or the Berger VLD, but you will hardly notice the difference if 500 to 600 yds. is your max range.

The A/B seems to be a good compromise between accuracy, higher BC and terminal performance. I use this bullet in my 6.5-06. Great "all around" bullet.

For long range hunting (say 700 yds. and beyond), wind often becomes the critical component to deal with in making your shot. In those cases, I give the nod to the Berger VLD and the SMK's with the higher BC's. In my 243, I shoot the 105 gr. VLD. Performance in both accuracy and terminal performance departments has been superb.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts