Whats best 180 TSX or ACCUBOND

joelbiltz

I whant some input as to what bullet would be best suited for a 300 WBY a 180 barnes tripleshock or a 180 gr nosler accubond. This round will be going on a combo deer and elk trip in OCT. Shots will be out to 500 yds any input or load info would be greatly appriciated. Thanks

My vote is for the TSX if it will shoot in your rifle. Be sure to start load .050 off the lands & make sure that all copper is out of your barrel. Then you can go in or out to find the sweet spot. Never go under .030, but some guns shoot better at .100 plus! The TSX is much tougher than the Nosler Accubond, and you will not be shooting at extreme ranges where the Accubond might open easier. I've use the TSX on both deer & elk with great success. Good luck.

Joel,
Can't say for that caliber. But, I have tried both bullets and from an accuracy standpoint, the TSX is more accurate. That's in the rifles that I have loaded for and shot. Guess it depends on which one your rifle likes best. Johnny K.

Joelbiltz
If you load either bullet to at least 3,000 FPS & of course
you should in a .300 Wea., either bullet will be fine out
to the 500 or so yard limit you mentioned. I would go with
the bullet your rifle likes. However, If you later decide you want to shoot futher, I would read the area that
Gonehunting again mentioned. For those longer ranges I will
now try the Accubond.

I have taken a few animals with 140 accubonds and triple shocks in my 7mm stw, and up close the accubonds make me nervouse. They loose alot of weight very quickly. Take a quartering to you shot at 60 yards on a giant bull elk, i would much rather have the Barnes. This past year i shot a muly buck at 520 yards with my 7mm stw and the 140 xxx. There was a .284 entrance hole and silver dollar exit hole, the buck dropped in its tracks with a high shoulder shot. I have loaded the triples in my 270 weatherby, 7mm stw, and 300 ultra, and they have been accurate and deadly. I have been able to achieve under moa in all of the above mentioned rifles. Slow that accubond down abit or stretch the distance and you should be fine. I would go with the xxx unless your rifle doesnt like them. Cheers!

HVYW8T,

WHAT WAS THE LOAD YOU USED IN YOUR 300 ULTRA, ME AND A BUDDY OF MINE ARE HAVING HELL TRYING TO FIND A GOOD LONG RANGE LOAD FOR OUR ULTRA'S,

aNY INFO WOULD BE GREAT

I used r25 and a 168 barnes triple shock. When i get home tonight i will look in my load notes for the powder weight. Velocity was 3500ish and the bc of that bullet is low 5s if i remember right. **** deadly combo.

I worked up a load for a 700 Stainless Ultra mag last year and the load was 96g of IMR 7828 with a Fed 215 primer shooting 3/4" groups at 100.

Hope this helps

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.