300 rum 180 tsx bullet

I had a strange result yesterday at the range with a 300 win mag. Retumbo data says a max load of 84 grains (highly compressed in 300 win mag) under a 200 grain bullet will do about 2950fps. I loaded some 200 grain accubonds and 180tsxs with 84 grains. The accubonds did 2950 with no pressure problems. The 180 tsx on the other hand did 3250 (Yikes thats 300 wby territory with 24" barrel) and had heavy bolt lift, extractor marks (very shiney), and shot primer pockets.
So what gives with the tsx....every gun I try them in seems to make too much pressure near max loads with other bullets.
(Then I see people saying you might be able to go 1-2 grains more!)
The load seems safe with a 200 accubond but seems 2-3 grains over max with a 180 tsx!!

Use rubbing alcohol to cool the barrel, put it on with a paper towel to the point to where the liquid is dripping off the bottom of the barrel. You will not believe how fast the barrel cools.

I'd say I'm at least .100" from the lands. My gun doesn't have much clip room....I must seat to 3.340" (standard 300 win length) and the lands are always .080-.150 away from there. I should probably have the barrel turned down tighter to the action....I also have an extra .030" headspace on this gun. But, the darn thing shoots pretty good.......it's a $289 savage stevens and I kind of hate to tinker with it other than reloading.

At first I was really excited when I heard Federal was loading the triple shocks...until I looked at the velocities they were getting. I bought the Ultra Mag to push a 180gr bullet ABOVE 3300fps. That said, I loaded the TSXs at 95.5gr of Retumbo. I'm getting 3370-3400fps, which I'm very happy with. However, now that Barnes has redone all of their previously VERY OPTIMISTIC ballistic coefficients, I'm once again, disappointed. Maybe I'll just try the Accubonds or Scirrocco IIs--at least they'll be above .500 bc.

BTW, my gun is just a stock Remington LSS-26"bbl.

what wt bullet are you pushing at that speed.
i dont have a chrono.
I am using the 180 tsx and 100g of retumbo with no presure signs. this is in a remington sendero barrel.i was estimateing my speed in the 3300 range comparing them to the factory loads that i purchaced.
thanks

Duner...they were the 180gr bullets. My cases are also all on their 4th or 5th firing, so they've stretched a bit...I think that's why 95.5gr is MY max. I don't believe anything less than 180gr should be used in the 300RUM. I fell for the Lazzeroni/Weatherby myth a few years ago and bought the 7.82 Warbird and shot the 168gr XLCs out of it at 3650fps...just too light of a bullet out of a big .30cal, and the 180gr surpasses the 168gr after 400yds or so. Good luck with your load development.

[ QUOTE ]
Need to get access to a chronograph to do this right. I shot a .185 shot yesterday morning whith 102 grains of Retumbo and the 180 Scirroco without any pressure. Early season elk opens in 7 days and the bulls are bugling behind my house which is seriously effecting my work concentration! You are right this is an incredible canyon rifle but it has to pefected to science and you want to do it right the first time. Tye at Barnes knows his stuff when he talked about the variations in barrells and chambers. I have 2 Ultra's and they are night and day with bullets and pressures. I have been doing ballistic testing for the 180 Federal Fusion here in Lewiston where they are made and it will be another good bullet when it becomes available to the handloader. Lots of choices but you need a C-mike that goes to .0000 and a good chronograph.

[/ QUOTE ]i'm not happy with the fusion at all i shoot a yote at 30yrd with a 30-06 and 165 fusion the bullet did not exit and out of the same box i had one tumble on me at 600 the groups sucked to. i will leave the fusion to some other poor soul /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Kraky,
I have been there and done that!+1
The 200gr.Accubond,84 grs. Retumbo routinely shoots under .4" at 2964 fps.It is kind of hard compressing all of that powder under the looong Accubond in .300 Win.brass!
Jim

Jimmy---re compressing 84 grains in 300 win.....cant' hardly describe the sound. For me it went from "crunching" to making a sort of "creaking" noise.

DB--yikes 3400 out of a 200 grainer has got to be way over max unless you have a 28-30"barrel and still has to be maxed?? I got some 200 accubonds going 3350 out of my 30-378 the other day. Brass was shot...primer pockets gone. Quit shooting after 3 rounds and dis assembled remainder of bullets.

The bbl is a 30" Lilja 1/11, 3 groove, the bullets are moly. Shoots as well as 210gr JLKs, at least out to 400 yds. Haven't shot the TSXs beyond that. Primers are F210M and are not flat yet.
db

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.