300 ultra and 180 tsx

birddog67

Anyone have any loads worked up for the 180 tsx and retumbo powder ? I have be struggling with 210 VLD , I had 3 factory federal 180 triple shocks they shot a bug hole less than .50 @ 100 yards :rolleyes: so I just ordered 100 bullets , what my plan is is I have 15 more out of that box of factory loads , I will shoot them thru my chrono to get my velocity , I already have my seating depth , I my head then I will just have to chase speed , is this correct ? I do know they use special blended powders for there loads but after shooting 80 210 out of my gun I want to prove that my loading is consistent . Thanks

I have had excellent luck with the 180TTSX and 97.5 grs Retumbo, Federal 215 primer overall length set to 3.60''.
One rifle is custom Christensen Arms 300 ultra with 26'' barrel, the other is a Browning left hand stainless, re-barrelled to 300 RUM also sporting a 26''Carbon pipe.
Both rifleswill shoot this exact load repeatedly into less than .5'' groups at 100 yards.

custom rifle averages 3335fps, while the rebarrelled Browning runs 3290fps.
Another friend is waiting for his new Christensen rifle to show up so we can try this load in the new gun.

sounds like a pretty good plan to me. However I am guessing that the barnes will shoot good in your rifle at any seating depth or velocity, This is why I shoot a lot of Barnes bullets, they just shoot good.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.