TSX vs TTSX

bkondeff

Have a very consistent .5 moa load on the .284 150 TSX,. but really hate the .408bc. The TTSX isn't much betterr at .45, but I'd take it. Would I expect to get the same basic results other than the flatter trajectory and drift?

Tried to look at the Barnes Manual at the store today, but they don't even show the TTSX.

Have you ran the numbers? The .042 bc gain won't mean a swquat unless you are shooting past 600 yards. But I have done a lot of things that give me a better warm fuzzy. Having confidence in your load is worth much more than bc. If the ttsx is your warm fuzzy go for it, I'm sure it will shoot good for you. Barnes makes a lrx a friend of mine has had good luck with them might want to look into them.

bought TTSX bacause we TSX wasn't avail at my first stop. Luckily they were at my second stop.

I won't sacrifice accuracy or confidence for .050bc, but if I hear they are likely to come out of the barrel the same and fly that little bit better, then I'll take it. I'll be elk hunting between 9-10 thousand feet, so things will be flying a little flatter no matter what bullet.

I prefer TTSX I use 120s in my 284. 130s in 270 Why. Much more.

TSX in 30-30, 45-70 and semi automatic.

The 180 has gone 1000 on game. Smaller can make 600.

Not the same COAL as TSX so some careful measurement is in order but you won't be far off.

Last edited by a moderator:
I won't use the TSX on game, only the TTSX. I saw too many bad experiences with the the older X bullets to ever trust a hollow point design like the TSX. I know they say they've improved them, but the hollow point doesn't open reliably enough for me to trust it on game. The plastic tip of the TTSX gives something to initiate expansion so they open 100%. Accuracy isn't the only criteria in a game bullet for me.

FWIW,

I have two very different rifles. 1- Sako 75SS all factory. 1- Custom Tac-300, Lilja 24", Manners stock, etc. Both like the 150 TSX, using all the same components, both fairly consistent at .5moa at 200 yds.

Using the 150TTSX, I used the exact same load, using the exact same brass, not even changing the seating die, so same COAL but a different OAL.

Shoots to the same POI. Shoots almost exactly the same velocity as well, 3075FPS.

Shot to 500 yds this weekend on paper, and obviously not the same drops, based on BC, only about .7-.75moa, but I think that was me due to a lot of mirage. Sub milk jug to 700 yds very consistently.

I prefer the Bergers and have been historically happy with their terminal performance on 168's out of 7mm, but I am amazed how easy it is to get these TSX/TTSX's to shoot well and consistently. I figure I will have about 700yds to keep my velocity up around 2000fps+, as I'm hunting between 8000-10000'. I hope these will not let me down on Elk. My dad's carrying my Sako, limited to ~400yds, and I'm taking the custom.

to defend the tsx, i have seen the tsx work very well and very consistent , have never seen one not open

the possibility is there at longer ranges when using the heaviest bullets of caliber

since you have the choice of either, id do the ttsx all day

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.