VLD chamfering?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by MagnumManiac, Apr 4, 2014.

1. MagnumManiac

MagnumManiac Well-Known Member

Can someone with more knowledge than I explain what advantages there are to using a VLD chamfering tool on case necks.
    I have used it on my 300WinMag but found no difference in group size or any other differences.

Cheers.
    gun)

2. Barrelnut

Barrelnut Well-Known Member

Good question. I really see no difference either. Maybe I too can learn something here.

3. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

I loaded and thought the same, it may vary for you. I would check my concentricity and I was fighting it a bit in a 338. I went to a vld champfer and it helped out. And I did tighten group a small amount.

4. jrock

jrock Well-Known Member

It's suppose to help accuracy? I thought it was just to make bullet seating depths easier.

5. Chickenthief

Chickenthief Member

A jacketed bullet will "mussle" it's way down the case in any case (pun intended).
    A moly coated bullet will be scratched more or less on a sharp edge.
    A VLD chamfering will "ease" the bullet down without scratching it.

I use it on all my cases but that is because i shoot lead in most calibers.

PS a cheap VLD chamfering "tool" is nothing more than a cone drill bit!

6. Trickymissfit

Trickymissfit Well-Known Member

I use a couple old taper pin reamers that were destined for the scrap tub. If you try them, dull them up a little bit with a hard stone.
    gary

7. Timber338

Timber338 Well-Known Member

I've used them in the past without any noticeable difference in bullet concentricity or accuracy. The biggest improvement I've ever gained in improving the concentricity of my reloads is upgrading to Redding's competition seating dies. All of my bullets now come in at .002 total runout or better. they are simply far superior to any standard seating die. And I use a standard chamfer when doing case prep.