VLD question

I'm working on the same load. Going off hodgdon book shows max powder with H1000 is 67.9? I see you guys are going into the 70's, is hodgdon book low balling?

I'm working on the same load. Going off hodgdon book shows max powder with H1000 is 67.9? I see you guys are going into the 70's, is hodgdon book low balling?
You need to work your way up watching for pressure signs as you go, flattened primers, heavy bolt lift,et. It is never a good idea to jump straight to the max load, all rifles are different, therefore it depends on your particular rifle and what it will tolerate. Always proceed with caution. Manuals are written for the lawyers in most cases.

The Hodgdon loads for the 180 VLD and the 170 grain Sierra are more in line with reality .

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts