Newby with a 210 vld question

Hogslayer6

Hi guys thanks in advance for advice and patience

My rig is a stock 700 police in .300 WM, I've developed a load in 180AB but want to play with the hunting VLD. Ive been researching load dev for about 2 weeks and am on board with bergers method of seating. My question is, how are you guys finding your starting charge weight? The loads I've built in the past I've always loaded to sammi length and run ladder test to figure loading backwards from suggested max by .5gn for 10 cartridges. The data I found says 72ish gn for min and max of 76 and change.

Thanks again
Drew

If sounds like you've got the right idea. I would go in 0.6 grain increments with 3 to 5 rounds at each step.

i'm kind of in the same boat. I've just started trying Bergers, and it's definitely a new experience. Accubonds have always worked great, but I was wanting to try the Bergers.

I just finished the seating depth process Berger laid out. That was pretty straight forward for me. I used a mid-mild load for that process. Now I'm in the process of finding a good charge. I went from my mid level charge, and am working up in 0.5 grain increments.

For me, if I can't get a powder to work in the mid-upper ranges of charge, I'll try another powder. Most times, if you selected a powder that is appropriate for the application, you should find a charge that will work out. But not always.

Anyway, I'm not done yet finding my load with the Bergers. So far it just seems to take a little bit more patience then it might with bullets having a tangent ogive. We'll see...

I've been shooting Bergers for years, and I have found something that works great for me. I use a Hornady OAL gauge and gauge my distance to the lands in each rifle I own (and make note of it). And I always set my reloads .015" off the lands (unless I have a specific reason to seat them farther away, like short magazine length), and work up my powder charges to find my node.

Also, for powder, try 7828 SSC or 7977 with those 210 Bergers.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts