Berger 210 VLD

Fotis

Has anyone done some performance testing on this bullet? Maybe on ballistic gellatin (they actually sell that in Midway now!) or in wet newsprint etc.?
Basically i am trying to ascertain whether it is a viable big game bullet from a 300 RUM. Basically how it would perform from 50- whatever range on elk/deer etc. Would it expand at long range, penetrate at short range etc.

BTW, any loads for the rum on this bullet? How was accuracy/velocity?
Thanx

POP

I shot this bullet a little over a month ago. I was using 89g Retumbo and getting an even 3000fps. I had shot 2 coyotes, which I think you saw the pics. Teh ranges were 118, and 275. They left gaping holes. I think they would be an aweseome deer bullet as well. Maybe a little on the explosive side, but thats still a plenty big bullet to pass through deer. They are suppose to be made with light jackets, thats why I'm experiencing the expansion I'm getting. I would not use them for elk though. I think its a little to fragile of a bullet. I did not shoot them in my wet newspaper test. For targets, coyotes, antelope, deer, you could not go wrong with this bullet. But for elk/bears I still think there is better choices out there.

Tango Mike....
Phonetic alphabet for
Thanx Much

Come on man get with the program. You're gonna be a military man just like me in a few!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yuor first military lesson on radio talk!

Letter Pronunciation Letter Pronunciation

A Alpha (AL fah)------------N November (no VEM ber)
B Bravo (BRAH VOH)----------O Oscar (OSS cah)
C Charlie (CHAR lee)--------P Papa (pah PAH)
D Delta (DELL tah)----------Q Quebec (keh BECK)
E Echo (ECK oh)-------------R Romeo (ROW me oh)
F Foxtrot (FOKS trot)-------S Sierra (see AIR rah)
G Golf (GOLF)---------------T Tango (TANG go)
H Hotel (hoh TELL)----------U Uniform (YOU nee form)
I India (IN dee ah)---------V Victor (VIK tah)
J Juliett (JEW lee ETT)-----W Whiskey (WISS key)
K Kilo (KEY loh)------------X X Ray (ECKS RAY)
L Lima (LEE mah)------------Y Yankee (YANG key)
M Mike (MIKE)---------------Z Zulu (ZOO loo)

Note: The syllables printed in capital letters are to be stressed.

Hey Pop,

My huntin pardner is working or has been working with them some. Here is a plate we got hanging at 500yds, that has a few impacts from the Bergers on it, for what it's worth. The plate is a scrapped 12"- 150# blind, the white circle is 2.5" in dia. These weren't shot in ideal conditions by any means. 15+ mph winds coming in from 3 on the first one and from 9 on the second.

This is both Bergers and Wildcat 210's,
P1210026.jpg

This one is just showing the Bergers.
PC240004B.jpg

If I can get the data from him I will post it up or maybe he will when he gets off work. I know that mostly he is using H-1000 and Retumbo.

Is there any chance these things will stay in one piece from a 3 groove 1:9 twist barrel in the 3150 fps range? I picked up a box quite a while ago but never got the chance to try them out in the old barrel. The new barrel might be a bit rough on them...I just don't want to make an *** out of myself at the range by not putting any holes in the target (**** public ranges anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ).

I wouldnt think they would, but then I have no idea. I have got them up to almost 3200 myself, with a 10 twist whatever groove that remington uses. Does the grooveing have quite a bit of effect on the bullet and how it spins or what?

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone done some performance testing on this bullet? Maybe on ballistic gellatin (they actually sell that in Midway now!) or in wet newsprint etc.?
Basically i am trying to ascertain whether it is a viable big game bullet from a 300 RUM. Basically how it would perform from 50- whatever range on elk/deer etc. Would it expand at long range, penetrate at short range etc.

BTW, any loads for the rum on this bullet? How was accuracy/velocity?
Thanx

[/ QUOTE ]

Confusion, confusion. POP I thought that you did not like and would never consider useing match bullets for hunting

[ QUOTE ]
Would it expand at long range, penetrate at short range etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait a minute, I thought you were against long range hunting. Why be concerned about long range bullet performance if you despise the idea of it in the first place? Yeah, I read your post on the other forum POP, or should I call you Jekyl and Hyde? Pity, pity. I thought you were one of us. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif .

I've done business w/POP and he has been nothing short of great to deal with. He seems like a very good guy.

I must say however that this dissapoints me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif..

I was hoping it was just someone else, but I was disapointed when they're both from CHEYENNE, WY.
Is it possible to have two POPS from the same place?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.