6.5 PRC Hornady brass wont size correctly. Dent on shoulder. Confused.....

Well i checked the chamber and sure enough......small piece of debris. Got everything cleaned and lubed and had about 5 cases sized then.........stuck case in the sizing die. After wringing and twisting ive basically mangled the case head to where theres nothing to grab holt of anymore and i cant get the decapping part out so i can knock the case out from the other side. So......i guess im dead in the watee untill i can get to my welding desk at work tomorrow and get some more serious tools involved.
However........thanks to you all I'm definitely making progress and have fix and/or eliminated several problems/variables and im FAR more close to a resolution to this all than before i made this post.

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH.

getting there ever so slowly.......but getting there.
Remove the case the same way this guy removed the primer. Find the right size of stock (punch) to push the case out. You may damage your expander ball but they are cheap enough. Because you need to separate it from the rod for this to work.

Last edited:
I was going to suggest removing the expander ball from the die before sizing. I believe it's stretching your case after sizing. As far as a stuck case. I turn the upside down in the press after getting the expander pin out. I use a piece of round coil stock that fits inside the case. Then use the press to push the case free from the die.
Pictures?? Please

Heres the pictures. Trying to fix this and and angry spouse at the same time right now. 0.0

Attachments

• IMG_20240512_201601473_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240512_201601473_HDR.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20240512_201606222_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240512_201606222_HDR.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 36
And i cant get the dang de-cap and ball out. Ugh
Try Pulling out on your decapping rod as you turn the decapping ball lose. Perhaps a small pear of vice grips may help. And tap with a hammer lightly to get the ball stuck in the neck. Then turn it lose. It took me a little work to get them separated.

You can make one. Look it up on youtube. Drill and tap the case. A long bolt or allthread a deep socket and some washers and nut. You put the allthread or bolt through the socket and screw it into the tapped case. Then put a washer and nut on the bolt and as you tighten it will back out the case.

I would suggest spraying your die & case with some good lube while it's sitting. I couldn't believe how easy the case came out of die once I got the rod separated from the ball. And got the right size coil stock (punch) to push the case out of the die with the press. I did spray the die liberally with Hornady One Shot. That is the same stuff that got my die stuck. But it was my fault. I did not give it enough time to activate before I started running cases into the press. Another thing to watch if you decide to use One Shot.

Oh. BTW......yes.....it WAS stretching during sizing/de-capping. I have now started trimming POST sizing. Finish trim is 2.014"
Sorry about your struggles. After reading this I noticed you were using a #5 shell holder. That's what I run in a rock chucker with Forster dies without issue. Case specs I have say 2.020-.030. Where did you find 2.014? I use RCBS case lube on a mat conservatively and rub it around with by fingers a little after a quick roll and have no issues. I'm reloading Norma brass from new golden target ammo I have fired once and have not used any hornady brass. Maybe I missed it somewhere in here but when you get that case out of your die I'd take it apart and clean/inspect it. Seems like that could be the culprit.

Standard chamber. Clickers????
The question was for lance who had multiple reloads on Lapua brass. A clicker is hard bolt opening on a fired case producing a noticeable click. The saami prc chamber is a little tight and some people are having issues with reloads.

Recent Posts