Neck Turning Hornady Brass 6.5 PRC

SteveBurton

Formerly 'Jackmonkey'
I'm prepping 50 pieces of once fired Hornady brass and after neck turning I have 25 pieces that still have low spots. The 2 most extreme are pictured below. I'm already down to 0.014 and don't want to turn smaller. Would you send them or toss them?
9BD382F5-57E6-4CBD-811D-46E988A9D27E.jpeg

I'm prepping 50 pieces of once fired Hornady brass and after neck turning I have 25 pieces that still have low spots. The 2 most extreme are pictured below. I'm already down to 0.014 and don't want to turn smaller. Would you send them or toss them?
View attachment 176856

They will be fine, I would shoot them.

Uniform is better than not, and you are closer than you were. I wouldn't toss them and .014 is a good place to stop. I have turned necks down to .012 and they did fine as long as i up'd the tension little.

Best thing to do is test them for groups against the ones that didn't clean totally up.

J E CUSTOM

see in your pic as the unturned part is only at the top .. id keep any of those with the batch ( because they are so close) i bet .0135 woulda cleaned em all up 95% .

but i would scrap any that left untouched all the way down to the shoulder

Thanks guys. I was hoping they didn't have to be perfect. I usually don't see this problem when turning other brands of brass. I stopped at 0.015 but there were a lot of spots that hadn't been touched. That extra thousandth cleaned up a lot of it. I've read good reports on the newer Hornady brass but this stuff was all over the place. The primer pockets look great though! Now I'm going to sort these and see what I end up with.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts