300 win mag with 210 Vld

Greyfox,keep us (me) lol posted on what you come up with as I just purchased this same rifle a couple of weeks ago still trying to find bullets 215 hybrids or the 210's but prefer trying the 215's Thanks. Sorry to the OP don't want to hijack his thread.

I did some more loadwork today shooting the 210 VLD's with H1000, 75-77 gr in .5gr increments. All loads .010 off the lands. No pressure signs for any of the test loads. Except for my last string, groups held .5MOA or better at 200 yards and ES under 12 FPS. 75.5gr at 2750 FPS was definitely the node with .2MOA and ES of 7FPS. 76,5gr was 2790 FPS, .4MOA, ES 7. Chronograph started giving error codes by the time I got to 77 gr but the group was also .4MOA and I expect the velocity would be around 2810FPS. Each .5 gr increment appeared to give 20-25 FPS. Now I just have to decide on whether I try pushing the velocity a little higher. I have no idea what happened to my chronograph. I have a Super Chrono Acoustic chronograph on the way from Holland. I'll be anxious to see how it works.

I tried my 300 win again today with the RWS brass I backed off from 78 down to 74, 75,76 and the best groups were at 76 grains no pressure signs and velocity of 2875 fps fastest shot was 2887 and the slowest was 2871 shot a good tight group less than 1/2 inch. with nosler brass this load was a turtle and 79 grains was the best at basically the same velocity no pressure signs and a enlarged .308 hole. I guess my gun is throated and takes more powder to get to pressure as I have yet to have stcky bolt lift or cratered primers.I think with the RWS brass i shot the other day at 78 grains may be over pressure but I can't tell it from components or bolt. I took my primers to a friend who is a bench rest shooter and he thought the all looked good. I will now load some more and shoot some groups at 200,300,400, and 500 yards and see which comes out best the RWS or the nosler load.

I tried my 300 win again today with the RWS brass I backed off from 78 down to 74, 75,76 and the best groups were at 76 grains no pressure signs and velocity of 2875 fps fastest shot was 2887 and the slowest was 2871 shot a good tight group less than 1/2 inch. with nosler brass this load was a turtle and 79 grains was the best at basically the same velocity no pressure signs and a enlarged .308 hole. I guess my gun is throated and takes more powder to get to pressure as I have yet to have stcky bolt lift or cratered primers.I think with the RWS brass i shot the other day at 78 grains may be over pressure but I can't tell it from components or bolt. I took my primers to a friend who is a bench rest shooter and he thought the all looked good. I will now load some more and shoot some groups at 200,300,400, and 500 yards and see which comes out best the RWS or the nosler load.

If you account for the difference in barrel length between our rifles, I think we seeing similiar effects. My best groups are running 75.5-76gr. with ES of 5-7 FPS and velocities of 2750-2775FPS. My barrel is 24". I also see no pressure signs at 77gr using Norma brass. I'm up to 4 firings, neck sizing and have no chambering resistance yet.

Greyfox , Thanks for the update,I have yet to find any 215's or 210's. I don't really want to load any thing different as this will be my hunting round and I always load what I am going to hunt with. You have though eleviated one of my concerns that the 24" barrel would not give the vel. I would like to get,and your groups are really sounding good. I owe you a big debt of gratitude you are preety much working up a load for me :D since we have the same rifle.

What brake are you running, or are you running one. I am looking at either a mussel brake, or JP. I have a vias on my 7mm and really like it but don't want the blowing debris with the 300. once I find some bullets I will be good to go as I have every thing else, and will keep you posted as to how I'm doing and if we are seeing similar results. Thanks again, Rick

Greyfox , Thanks for the update,I have yet to find any 215's or 210's. I don't really want to load any thing different as this will be my hunting round and I always load what I am going to hunt with. You have though eleviated one of my concerns that the 24" barrel would not give the vel. I would like to get,and your groups are really sounding good. I owe you a big debt of gratitude you are preety much working up a load for me :D since we have the same rifle.

What brake are you running, or are you running one. I am looking at either a mussel brake, or JP. I have a vias on my 7mm and really like it but don't want the blowing debris with the 300. once I find some bullets I will be good to go as I have every thing else, and will keep you posted as to how I'm doing and if we are seeing similar results. Thanks again, Rick

Rick, I'm not using a break....but have one coming from Elk Meadow. I've been using a shoulder protector with all the shooting.

Rick, I'm not using a break....but have one coming from Elk Meadow. I've been using a shoulder protector with all the shooting.
Greyfox thanks for info, I will be shooting with a break, 2 herniated disks fused togeather doesn't make for pleasant shooting with the larger magnums without one. Shooting prone gets to me after a few shoots.
Rick

I'm also using H1000 with the Berger 210 gr. VLD in my Remington 700 XCR LRT 300 Win. Mag. It has a 26 inch barrel. Loading 75.5 grains, as suggested as the max load in the Berger manual, I got almost identical velocity as the manual at 2812 fps using W-W brass. Groups were around 3/4 inch at 100 yards. When I increased the charge to 76 gr. Of H1000 the velocity increased to 2846 fps. I had the bullets touching the lands with a COL of 3.580". The ES and SD were not that great, both in double digits. Groups stayed around 3/4". There were no signs of high pressure but without a break it kicks like a young mule. The barrel ha three wide flutes but there is plenty of round barrel at the muzzle to install a break.

I intend to get better brass when the craziness ends. Next thing I intend to do is change the distance off the lands to see if I can tighten up the groups.

I have loaded that load ( less powder) in many 300 wins with 210 Bergers. Both customs and also several factory senderos. I have used RWS, WW, RP, Graf, and Lapua brass. I feel you are flirting with over pressure loads. The reason the RWS is showing more velocity is it is indeed a higher pressure load even at one grain less. The lower case volume of the RWS makes the load you described close to 100% full depending on seating depth. I find max with RWS and a 210 Berger and H-1000 to be closer to 73 or 74 gr. I am not sure of your barrel length or the altitude you are shooting, but if you are under 4000 ft als. and in less than a 28" barrel please be very careful.

Jeff
I agree with Bro's on this I found that around 76-78 grain was compressing loads. I only had 20 pieces so I never actually developed a load with it. RWS isn't hard to find per say you just have to buy it in bulk or find someone willing to do a group buy. I have been using Win brass with good results but it seems as of late Rem brass seems to be more consistent.

gun)

truth be told you almost cant miss with some sort of heavy VLD and h1000. I use CCI BR2 with 208 gr Amax but I think maybe Fed 215 Match would be better especially with the really heavy guys. I am actually planning on using the AMAX in my .308 over some vagrat and switch to the 230 OTM's for the win mag for hunting bear.

I also am shooting the 215s behind H1000 and Fed 215 primers. Im finding pressure at 76 gr. Accuracy was great at 100 with 75.5 and 76gr( 5/8" outside to outside) but at 200yds it opened up to 2 1/2" +. My ES wasn't that good either....35fps. With CCI 250 it was 38fps. I shoot weight sorted R-R brass and the hybrids are .010 off the lands.
What do you guys suggest?
I also have some Retumbo......maybe my gun doesn't like H1000. Ha, that would be a first.
I might try backing my seating depth .020 and .030 and see what happens. It's a 25" broughton barrel with a trued and squared Rem action.
Thanks

Brent

Greyfox, I told you I would keep you posted on my results with the milspec. I just got aroound to working on loads this week I had several issues with the rifle I had to send it back to Rem. to have the chamber finished, they skipped that step, then during barrel breakin the extractor broke after 23 shots actually that was the second time it broke it was broken when I shipped it back to have the chamber done, I have since installed a sako extractor. I orderd a magneto speed crony so I waited for it to get here before starting true load development. Ended up loading 76grs. H1000 shooting 215 bergers, the only brass I could come up with was Rem. so far it seems to be doing ok, neck sizing it, cci250 primers, tried fed215m but the groups were terrible ( about 2" at 100) . 300.jpg

300group.jpg

800yds.jpg this is the results, the one shot that's right of center on paper was a brain fart on my part ( actually I had another I shot 3 times unpluged the crony then decided to shoot a couple more duh should have left it plugged in):D. After shooting at 100 and getting the vel. I went straight to my 800 yd. steel not to bad for a rookie I guess. Seating depth is .010 off lands, I may play with it a little but I could only find one box of 215's so I'm a little nervous about shooting too many. It's not the fastest horse in the race but it's shooting pretty good. I love the magneto speed, also I installed a jewel set at 1.25 lbs.

Rick

Rick, Glad to hear you got your Milspec sorted out, and looking at your results, shooting great! I had initially settled on 75.5gr of H1000 which giving me 2765FPS. I decided to try Retumbo and was able to increase my velocity to 2880FPS with .25-.5 MOA and single digit ES. I'm using 79gr, Norma brass, and Fed215's. I'm not seeing any pressure signs. I'm in a similiar boat with my powder supply running low. I had to break into my Retumbo lot reserved for my 6.5x284. I also picked up a Magnetospeed chronograph. I will probably never use my Ohler again.

G F Thanks for the info if I can find some Retumbo I will try it,I would like to get a little more vel. if I don't have to sacrifice accuracy. How is it on temp sensitivity? I will be heading West in a few weeks so I am trying to get this sorted out, as for now it will be my back up to my 7 RM but it will be my go to elk gun. If you stumble across any 215's let me know:D. I have some 210's I can get right now, I may just go ahead and get them,I think they should do fine as well. Right now I guess beggers can't be choosers.

Rick

G F Thanks for the info if I can find some Retumbo I will try it,I would like to get a little more vel. if I don't have to sacrifice accuracy. How is it on temp sensitivity? I will be heading West in a few weeks so I am trying to get this sorted out, as for now it will be my back up to my 7 RM but it will be my go to elk gun. If you stumble across any 215's let me know:D. I have some 210's I can get right now, I may just go ahead and get them,I think they should do fine as well. Right now I guess beggers can't be choosers.

Rick

Rick, I have been using Retumbo for several seasons and found the temperature stability to be excellent. I start my hunting early Oct. in Wyoming where I've seen temps in the 80's and end in Alberta when we can get well below freezing. No issues. I had difficulty getting 215's as well and ended up settling on 210's which I have a good supply. I would have preferred the higher BC of the 215's but lucking out with a good load at higher velocity with Retumbo helped close the performance gap. I'll keep my eye out for 215's. Art

H1000 seems to be a very popular choice for powder. I just purchased some IMR 4831 to load with 210 VLD's and wonder if you all had tried shooting this powder at all. Thought I would try this powder out since it's what I will be shooting in my .280 A.I. Still fairly new to reloading and reading as much as I can on the topic to best spend my money. Plus the wait for the products take some time to get here if I can find a place to back order it from. Thanks for your time and info.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.