300 win mag 210 vld

coastbuck

Just got some 210 vlds and was going to start working up a load. I have made a pretty accurate load with the 185 vld and 4831. That load is jumping .40. So my question is should I just jump the 210s .40 or should I go through the whole process again and see what the gun tells me. Powders I have are retumbo and 4831sc. Was looking to make this load with retumbo to try to hopefully get a lil more velocity. But will also try the sc if anybody got any good starting points.

Just got some 210 vlds and was going to start working up a load. I have made a pretty accurate load with the 185 vld and 4831. That load is jumping .40. So my question is should I just jump the 210s .40 or should I go through the whole process again and see what the gun tells me. Powders I have are retumbo and 4831sc. Was looking to make this load with retumbo to try to hopefully get a lil more velocity. But will also try the sc if anybody got any good starting points.

I would try a slower powder like IMR 7828 SSC or that new 7977. I have heard excellent things about 7977 in 7mmRM and .300WM sized cases, but haven't bought any to try yet.

I have found Retumbo to be a very tempermental powder, and was hellbent on not grouping well out of several of my rifles in various calibers...Which was opposite of what I had been told about it. But I've also read people proclaim 7828 SSC wasn't a good powder...Yet, it has become my go-to in almost every caliber I shoot. It is slower than Reloder 22, and sits directly above Reloder 25 on the burn chart, which explains why it works so well in all calibers ('06 and larger cases) when shooting heavy-for-caliber bullets.

Thanks for the reply mud. I have learned a lot on here from you and broz and value your guys opinion a lot. Now your saying that you found retumbo to be temp sensitive or are you saying temperamental as when it shows pressure? Cause I always heard that it wasn't suppose to be temp sensitive, and that's what I'm trying to stick with. We get pretty big temp swings here on the Oregon coast and being at sea level trying to get the best load I can. Im pretty sure I seen 7828 on the self here but I never heard of 7977. I would like to get h1000 but that's like pulling teeth. I've never reload retumbo in any of my rifles so I have no experience with it what so ever. But not grouping doesn't sound very good.

A friend of mine has excellent results with Retumbo behind the 210 gr VLD. That's through a Remington 5R. I believe it's a 26" barrel.

Thanks for the reply mud. I have learned a lot on here from you and broz and value your guys opinion a lot. Now your saying that you found retumbo to be temp sensitive or are you saying temperamental as when it shows pressure? Cause I always heard that it wasn't suppose to be temp sensitive, and that's what I'm trying to stick with. We get pretty big temp swings here on the Oregon coast and being at sea level trying to get the best load I can. Im pretty sure I seen 7828 on the self here but I never heard of 7977. I would like to get h1000 but that's like pulling teeth. I've never reload retumbo in any of my rifles so I have no experience with it what so ever. But not grouping doesn't sound very good.

Yes, tempermental, as in very picky to find an accurate node. I don't know if it is temp-sensative or not, because no matter what I tried, it would never produce a consistant group...So, there was no point in wasting anymore barrel life on it. I went back to one of my proven loads, and it shot great (as expected), and never looked back. It could have been my rifles just didn't like Retumbo... Sometimes that happens.

We get big temp swings and we're close to sea level here in Alabama, as well...So I understand where you're coming from. During winter (our hunting season) one day it could be 20 degrees outside, the next day it could be 50...

Shtrrdy thanks for the reply. Guess I should of put my rifle in the post also. Factory rem 700 long range. Has been a pretty good shooter so far need to update my optics still holding back a lot.

Mud. Hope that's not the case for me like I said I got 4831sc. But a slower powder would be better. I've never ran a max charge test with the 185's. I just figure pressure would show up before the next node so I just left it at 73 grains coal of 3.520 and it was grouping very well. I'm sure I could find a load with the short cut but I don't if its worth the time. What kind of velocity could a guy expect out of it?

I shoot 73gn H4831SC with a 210vld and get 2820 FPS from a 24" barrel. Accuracy is good and I have no signs of overpressure even in the hot summer months.

I shoot 73gn H4831SC with a 210vld and get 2820 FPS from a 24" barrel. Accuracy is good and I have no signs of overpressure even in the hot summer months.

73 grains that seems like a hot load. What's your coal?

I measured a few loaded rounds and they averaged about 3.600. This is touching the lands in my rifle. I use federal 210 primers. By all accounts its a stout load so work up accordingly. I made the switch to H4831sc after determining my rifle didn't care much for H1000. I think that was because of the relatively short barrel. I know most don't consider this a go to powder for a 300wm but I've had good luck with it.

I measured a few loaded rounds and they averaged about 3.600. This is touching the lands in my rifle. I use federal 210 primers. By all accounts its a stout load so work up accordingly. I made the switch to H4831sc after determining my rifle didn't care much for H1000. I think that was because of the relatively short barrel. I know most don't consider this a go to powder for a 300wm but I've had good luck with it.

Thanks for the reply. Is your rifle a custom? What do u run for brass? I couldn't even close the bolt with the 185's tell 3.560.

Thanks for the reply. Is your rifle a custom? What do u run for brass? I couldn't even close the bolt with the 185's tell 3.560.

It a lightweight Winchester model 70 with a Shilen barrel. I have no idea what the chamber specs are. With this particular load I have only tried Remington brass. So far after 5 firings the brass still going strong. After this brass gives up, I'm going to switch over to Winchester brass and play with the seating depth a bit more. Its my primary hunting rifle and I don't like the fact that that the bullets are kissing the lands.

coastbuck,
Make a "dummy" round to the lands for the 210 VLD so you can find what its cartridge base to ogive (CBTO) has to be for it to be .040 off like the 185s and test it there first. If it dosent pan out use the "VLDS,MAKING THEM SHOOT" article that can be found on our website under the information tab in TECH TALK. Or I believe it has been posted on this website also. As far as powder goes . Try your RETUMBO and the H 4831 SC powders.

coastbuck,
We show a starting load of 66.5 grains and a MAX of 70.2 grains . Approximate velocities are 2636 to 2777 fps. Fill ratio is approximately 94% . This load data is based on a magazine length round of 3.340 and a 26 in barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.