300 win mag 210 vld

Measured out to 1.2 outside to outside

Attachments

• IMG_20150929_115532628.jpg
    IMG_20150929_115532628.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 89
OK will do guys. I'll try to find a chronograph and I'll test a couple more groups further out. Won't be tell next week some time. Boss man called and said its time to go shrimping again. I'll keep you guys posted.

Well I'm starting to come to the conclusion that my gun is not liking retumbo. I've tried changing the charge weight up and down groups opened up. I've played with seating depth groups opened up don't know what to do now. Guess I'll try 4831sc unless you guys got any advice on what to try next with the retumbo.

Well I'm starting to come to the conclusion that my gun is not liking retumbo. I've tried changing the charge weight up and down groups opened up. I've played with seating depth groups opened up don't know what to do now. Guess I'll try 4831sc unless you guys got any advice on what to try next with the retumbo.
coastbuck,
Ok. Lets just start over instead of jumping around and getting aggravated. I would suggest you drop back to the lowest powder charge listed for either the RETUMBO or H4831 SC and redo the seating depth testing. Lets find/confirm that again and then work your load back up in half grain increments until you get to two grains below maximum then drop the tenth grain increments checking for pressure signs and accuracy as you go up in charge. The seating depth accuracy node usually only occurs once. The velocity accuracy node may repeat as you go up in charge. It usually starts either with a "large" or "small" group and then closes or opens up as the charge is increased then starts to repeat the process. Think of the group on the targets as a "sine" wave on an oscilloscope . The rifle will tell you how high you can go in velocity. Its work , but it pays off in the end. Keep a good loading log book and only change ONE thing at a time.
Hope this helps!

Retumbo gave me fits like that when I tried it in my 7mmRM's. Which is why I've got part of a jug still sitting on the shelf collecting dust.

Try IMR 7828 SSC, it's burn rate is slower than 4831, and is right on-par with RL-25.

If you have not tried it yet, H-1000 is my go to powder for the 300 win. Great velocity , great accuracy and temp stable, perfect case fill. Lost count of how many 300 wins I have loaded for with H-1000 and 210's as well as 215's. Never seem one that would not shoot well.

Jeff

Lol thanks barefooter I'm good now. I agree go through the steps again and see what happens. I got a question about the 215. Rifle has a 1@10 twist altitude of like 500 feet. The sg calculator said like 1.48 and loss of 1% bc. Would they be worth a try? It said that I should have a recommend of 1-9.75.

Mud I'll keep an eye out for the 7828 been a while since I've seen it here but it pops up every now and then. It seemed like when I back the charge down I couldn't get them to touch at all.

Broz been looking for h1000 for a long time. Still looking for it lol. I wanna try the 215 I've been thinking of putting a new barrel on this gun when funds permit. Was actually gonna ask you if you had any recommendations what j should look at?

Lol thanks barefooter I'm good now. I agree go through the steps again and see what happens. I got a question about the 215. Rifle has a 1@10 twist altitude of like 500 feet. The sg calculator said like 1.48 and loss of 1% bc. Would they be worth a try? It said that I should have a recommend of 1-9.75.

Mud I'll keep an eye out for the 7828 been a while since I've seen it here but it pops up every now and then. It seemed like when I back the charge down I couldn't get them to touch at all.

Broz been looking for h1000 for a long time. Still looking for it lol. I wanna try the 215 I've been thinking of putting a new barrel on this gun when funds permit. Was actually gonna ask you if you had any recommendations what j should look at?
coastbuck,
Should have no issues with the 215 target Hybrid at that altitude at all. Go for it. Let us know if you need any help or have any questions. Broz is the expert on this bullet but I can help with reloading and bullet questions also.
Good Luck!

Thanks again barefooter. Gonna try some out when I can get some. I appreciate all your advise and help. Couldn't agree more with broz being the expert on this cartridge and bullet. Ive look through his thread twice and learn a lot from it. Should read it again and touch up on it. Well I'll make up some loads tonight and hopefully get to shoot them tomorrow.

If you have not tried it yet, H-1000 is my go to powder for the 300 win. Great velocity , great accuracy and temp stable, perfect case fill. Lost count of how many 300 wins I have loaded for with H-1000 and 210's as well as 215's. Never seem one that would not shoot well.

Jeff
I agree I use 74.7 gr of H 1000 get a velocity of 2860. I seat the bullet .010 into the lands. I bump the shoulder back .002 each loading and use neck bushing .333. I get a 1/2 inch group at 200 yards. The powder is very temp. stable have used it at temps -0 with good results. I also anneal the brass after 4 loads. It is a Remington 700 action with a Bartelln barrel 1 in 9 twist.

Been a while since I posted so figure I would give a update. I tried retumbo again and I got the group down to a inch @ 200 yards. Grouping is still going vertical. So I just set it aside to go help my cousins on there elk hunt. Ended up taking a nice 5x5 with devils tines. Then getting ready for crab season happen and haven't had much time to reload. Made a trip to the store and hit the jackpot. Worker was rolling in carts of powder. Scored 5 lbs of h1000 and some others. Was pretty stoked so now I'm gonna give h1000 a try with the 210 and see what happens. Still planning to try the 215 as well.

Give u all a update on my load progression. First I would like to say sorry for dragging this thread out so long and thank you to whoever has help along the way. Getting ready for crab season and hunting really slowed me down on my load development. But here are my results with h1000. Finally got to use a chronograph for the first time so freaking cool and nervous lol.

String #1. H1000 75 grains .20 thousands off lands.
Velocity 2783 2783 2789. Average 2785. Es 6. Sd 3. 2 touching at .5 made big pilot foul opened group to 1inch CTC

String #2 h1000 75 grains .30 thousands off lands
Velocity 2795 2795 2818. Average 2802. Es 23. Sd 13. Group .3 ctc

String #3 h1000 75 grains 40 thousands off lands.
Velocity 2783 2801 2801. average 2795. Es 18 sd 10. Group 2 touching slight pull group 1 inch ctc
Oops forgot all strings had cci 250 primers.

So the question is now what to do lol would like to get a little more velocity. Would like to be in the 2850 range. Should I just retest all seating depths and bring my charges up gradually? None off the loads above had any signs of pressure.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.