rcbs dies for reloading berger vld bullets question

I recently ordered a custom VLD seater from RCBS for my 7mm STW shooting 180 Bergers. You contact them, then send 3 sample bullets, and for about $32 including shipping they send you the custom seater and your 3 bullets. Took about 3 weeks.
howard3,
Are you referring to a complete die or just the seating stem? This is good information either way.
Thanks !

Did a little searching and came across this.
The final step is stuffing that bullet into the case. You may be surprise to know that I use the generic seating die found in off the shelf die sets. With the runout gauge and properly sized bench rest brass, I have found little runout to happen during the seating stage. If runout is caused, it is likely caused by a mismatch in the seating stem and the bullet ogive. The tips of these long bullets hit the top of the stem BEFORE the ogive can be supported by the stem. Pretty hard to be consistent when balancing on a bullet tip.

Easy to check. Just take the die apart and put your favorite bullet into the stem. It will be very obvious if the tip bottoms out first. The solution is equally simple. Chuck the stem and enlarge the taper in the stem so the ogive hits the bottom of the stem squarely. You want to retain as much of the taper in the stem as possible. I find a suitable sized drill bit does the job just fine. Problem solved.

Did a little searching and came across this.
The final step is stuffing that bullet into the case. You may be surprise to know that I use the generic seating die found in off the shelf die sets. With the runout gauge and properly sized bench rest brass, I have found little runout to happen during the seating stage. If runout is caused, it is likely caused by a mismatch in the seating stem and the bullet ogive. The tips of these long bullets hit the top of the stem BEFORE the ogive can be supported by the stem. Pretty hard to be consistent when balancing on a bullet tip.

Easy to check. Just take the die apart and put your favorite bullet into the stem. It will be very obvious if the tip bottoms out first. The solution is equally simple. Chuck the stem and enlarge the taper in the stem so the ogive hits the bottom of the stem squarely. You want to retain as much of the taper in the stem as possible. I find a suitable sized drill bit does the job just fine. Problem solved.
Rack,
Great point! I even suggest that if the die comes with a VLD seating stem you test it. Pays to keep a sample of bullets with a long tip to base length as gauges for future checks on any new dies also. You may want to watch it with a compressed load with your modification so you don't split the seating stem. Redding calls this out on their VLD stems. May happen with a modified stem also. Just something to keep in mind.

I shoot the 168's in my 7mm RM with RCBS dies and they don't bottom out. Don't know if the 180's would...I believe they have similar nose taper dimensions.
My 30-60 dies with the 180 gr Nosler BT do bottom out and bulge the jacket right at the base of the poly tip.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.