Dies for Berger VLD

teampete

Hey all I have been doing tons of reading and have purchased 2 boxes of berger 210 gr vld hunting bullets. I have a 300 win mag and am looking at purchasing some dies. I am really sold on buying the Forster bench rest 2 die neck set. It comes with a neck sizer and seater. My questin is will those die give me consitant OAL? I have read OAL does not matter and only a measurmnet to the ogive matters. Will this seater die give me consistant length to the ogive? Is there a die set out there that delivers consistant seating depths with these long meplat bullets? Please help and thanks.

I dont see why they wouldnt. I use the RCBS competition dies for seating and have great success. Window and micrometer adjustments make it easy for me.

I read that dies with bushing help in this process?? What do bushings do? Also I wonder if the compettion dies are different than the bench rest die from forster. My understanding is that a bench rest die basically is a compettion one?

I load 210vld for a 300wm and use the Redding competition seating die. Some very knowledgeable people on this site say the Redding and Forster seating dies work the exact same way, so I don't think you can go wrong with either. The reason I got the Redding was because I like their micrometer adjustment better than the micrometer on the forster. The micrometer is very handy if you load different bullets or like to change seating depth quickly.

I think you should pick up a basic reloading book & read it.
Maybe get a reloader to help you..
Before you hurt yourself

"...sold on buying the Forster bench rest 2 die neck set."

Forster's are perhaps the supreme dies but your die set choice is wrong. EVER reloader needs a Full Length sizer, neck sizers are optional. Ditto micrometer seater heads, they are ONLY a user convienence, they do nothing for the quality of ammo that can be produced.

Variations in OAL, or bullet jump, for a factory sporting rifle usually won't mean much until it exceeds a moderately wide window, typically from 7 to 15 thou wide. No matter the bullet, any OAL difference greater than about 3-4 thou is from poor loading technique, not the dies. Or press.

It seems you must be a raw noob? That's cool, we all had to start and none of us were born knowing any more than you, but it sounds like you're read a lot on the web or magazines and not from a loading manual with noob instructions; THAT reading should be your first task. Lyman, Lee, Hornady, Sierra manuals all have well written basic instructions and good illustrations as well as the data you will need to reload. In use, dies of a given type - Full Lenght, Neck sizer or seater - work so nearly the same that the same instructions are good enough for most users. And you have a LOT to learn and a LONG way to go before a neck die will have any useful impact on your shooting.

Last edited:
Ouch that's a brutal comment. I already have full length sized my brass. Once I get fire formed brass for my specific gun I plan on neck sizing which is why I am looking at this forster die set? I like the fact that's it will prolong my brass life. My main question iis will this forster bench rest seater die be ok for berger vlds. I read that vlds are so long that the tip touches inside the die thus can causedifferent OAL lengths. So my simple question was is there a seater die on the market that wouldn't let the vld bullet tip touch inside. Also I am not sure why you say neck sizing won't hellp me. Once I get my fireformed case a neck die should work great????

"...sold on buying the Forster bench rest 2 die neck set."

Forster's are perhaps the supreme dies but your die set choice is wrong. EVER reloader needs a Full Length sizer, neck sizers are optional. Ditto micrometer seater heads, they are ONLY a user convienence, they do nothing for the quality of ammo that can be produced.

Variations in OAL, or bullet jump, for a factory sporting rifle usually won't mean much until it exceeds a moderately wide window, typically from 7 to 15 thou wide. No matter the bullet, any OAL difference greater than about 3-4 thou is from poor loading technique, not the dies. Or press.

It seems you must be a raw noob? That's cool, we all had to start and none of us were born knowing any more than you, but it sounds like you're read a lot on the web or magazines and not from a loading manual with noob instructions; THAT reading should be your first task. Lyman, Lee, Hornady, Sierra manuals all have well written basic instructions and good illustrations as well as the data you will need to reload. In use, dies of a given type - Full Lenght, Neck sizer or seater - work so nearly the same that the same instructions are good enough for most users. And you have a LOT to learn and a LONG way to go before a neck die will have any useful impact on your shooting.

Wow - brutal and full of pronouncements that might be true for you but not necessarily the rest of us.

I have used Lee Deluxe and Redding micrometer seating dies with Berger 7mm 168 and 180 VLDs with no issues.

Many methods can be successful. But, accuracy may suffer and you can have a potentially dangerous situation if you overlook a critical step.

In addition to the reloading manuals, there are some good DVDs out. I have not seen the new one from Defensive Edge. But, I would expect it to help address a lot of your questions as well as cover safety issues.

Be safe.
Richard

The brutal part is about me hurting myself. Maybe I took it the wrong way. Yes I know I don't know everything about reloading but I feel I know enough to not hurt myself.

TEAM- the 300 win mag is easy to load for . the 210 berger present no special problem. use regular rcbs dies. not a neck die. what rifle are you loading for?

Roninflag- I am loading for a savage long range hunter in 300 win mag. I full length sized my brass already with a rcbs die but I plan on neck sizing the next time I reload this brass. From what I've read and heard neck sizing saves brass life and alkso can help with acurracy a bit?

Nobody is being direspectful. There are people here that are experts and those of us who are starting out. Most of us don't know each other personally.

It's easy to misinterpret postings. But, something raised a concern.

Carlock is considered one of the experts. So, I'm thinking of getting the DVD myself hoping to pick up on one or two tidbits.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/defensive-edge-lrh-reloading-dvd-72418/

...although that cheesy Hornady gauge on the cover is a turnoff.

-- richard

Rscot your right I am sure that no one is being disrespectful. I just got fired up for a second there. Ill re read my speer manual and just go from there. I've watched some videos too of reloading. The owner of rcbs did one on a hunting show a while back. I thought many of my questions were answered there and he made it look very easy.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.