Dies for Berger VLD

Roninflag- I am loading for a savage long range hunter in 300 win mag. I full length sized my brass already with a rcbs die but I plan on neck sizing the next time I reload this brass. From what I've read and heard neck sizing saves brass life and alkso can help with acurracy a bit?

In my experience, you are correct regarding brass life and I find my loads in most rifles more accurate. I use the VLD's in the calibers that I have that like them.(not all do) It's a simple lathe project to open the seating stem to properly fit the VLD if you find the COAL is inconsistent due to variations in the "tip", allowing more accurate contact on the ogive.

Ouch that's a brutal comment. I already have full length sized my brass. Once I get fire formed brass for my specific gun I plan on neck sizing which is why I am looking at this forster die set? I like the fact that's it will prolong my brass life. My main question iis will this forster bench rest seater die be ok for berger vlds. I read that vlds are so long that the tip touches inside the die thus can causedifferent OAL lengths. So my simple question was is there a seater die on the market that wouldn't let the vld bullet tip touch inside. Also I am not sure why you say neck sizing won't hellp me. Once I get my fireformed case a neck die should work great????

Forster dies are good quality dies and you should have no problems loading the VLD bullets with them.

Also, you are right, that a more accurate measure of OAL is to measure from the case head (where the primer inserts into the bottom of the case) to the ogive of the bullet.

For reloading VLD bullets, be sure to read this post...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...accuracy-berger-vld-bullets-your-rifle-40204/

You will note in the article that it talks about seating the VLDs are varying distances from the lands. Which of course means you need to know exactly the measurement to the lands on your particular rifle. To make that determination, get yourself a Hornady OAL gauge:

Hornady Lock-N-Load Overall Length Gage Bolt Action - MidwayUSA

The 300WM "modified case"

Hornady Lock-N-Load Overall Length Gage Modified Case 300 Winchester Magnum - MidwayUSA

Then for each bullet you want to use in your rifle, use these tools to determine the exact measure 'on the lands'

Make this measurement using a Hornady Comparator:

Hornady Lock-N-Load Bullet Comparator Basic Set with 6 Inserts - MidwayUSA

Once you have the measurement 'on the lands' it's simple math to determine .005, .010, .020 and .030 'jump' (how far back the ogive is from the lands)

As a footnote, even within the same box of bullets, there will be variation in dimensions. So when you load your finished cartridges, spot check your cartridges to make sure the bullets are seated at the correct depth.

Thanks for the help everyone. Would the precision and quality be any different in the forster die vs a regular redding die, not compettion die. The forster die says bench rest and I took that as being a compettion die or higher quality? Am I wrong assuming that?

Thanks for the help everyone. Would the precision and quality be any different in the forster die vs a regular redding die, not compettion die. The forster die says bench rest and I took that as being a compettion die or higher quality? Am I wrong assuming that?

Both Redding and Forster are top quality dies. I can't give you much of an opinion on quality between benchrest or competition models. I can tell you that my choice on dies (redding competition) was based on the features. I like the micrometer on the top of the dies so that .001 adjustments could be made with ease.

"I like the fact that's it will prolong my brass life. ...."

That's not a fact, not automatically anyway. IF the reloader FL sizes properly (many don't) it won't make much - if any - difference in case life. Most cases die because of neck splts and most neck only dies work the neck as much as FL dies.

"Also I am not sure why you say neck sizing won't hellp me."

Didn't say that; effectively said it would take a lot of learning before it makes any difference. Contrary to popular opinion, many (skilled) reloaders using factory rifles obtain equal or better accuracy with FL sizing. Of course IF you are loading for a single shot $2-3 K BR rig with a custom chamber I would suggest differently.

"Once I get my fireformed case a neck die should work great???? "

If your rig happens to like neck sized loads it should work great. But that's something that must be confirmed by personal experimentation, no one else can tell you.

Dies come in first and second place. Forster and Redding are tied for first place, all others are tied second. And it will take a lot of loading/shooting/learning before any new reloader can see an average difference between any of them on his targets.

IF you had originally said you have already FL sized your cases it would have put a different slant on the answers but you only said you want to buy a neck size set and that, by itself, is a bad idea. Meaning, half expressed questions often lead to less than ideal answers.

Ouch? The way this web stuff usually works is a guy asks a question. Others answer as best they can based on what was posted. We didn't know if he/you is already highly experienced or not so we generally assume that basic questions come from new guys and indepth questions come from old hands. So IF a guy gets answers he doesn't like, most will ignore it without feeling personal affront . Since we don't have a clue what others do or don't know few of us are going to tip-toe around with answers - we aren't amature "pat the guy on the head in reward for how hard he's trying" psycologists. Therefore, when MIke gave you a direct but proper suggestion in post #5 to learn more before you hurt yourself it was well intended, not an offense.

Asking questions here is a good source of additional info but you really should read the right stuff first. It's your choice but Mike's suggestion does sound like a good idea.

Stay cool and have fun!

Last edited:
trebark thanks for those links. I will for sure get the comparator. Going with the forster seater. Thanks all

Roninflag- I am loading for a savage long range hunter in 300 win mag. I full length sized my brass already with a rcbs die but I plan on neck sizing the next time I reload this brass. From what I've read and heard neck sizing saves brass life and alkso can help with acurracy a bit?

i have been reloading since 1967. i thought neck dies would do that too. no evidence they do. for hunting rifles i reccomend full lenght.

TEAMPETE

........ I just placed my order for a new custom 6.5x47Lapua Rifle..... I plan to use the Berger Hunting 140 gr VLD Bullets for this long range rifle......

I chose the Redding Precision die set including the micrometer seating die.... The only reason I chose Redding over Forster is because that Redding offers an optional seating stem made especially for the Berger VLD bullets....

THIS QUESTION IS FOR ANYBODY

I can't understand all the fuss about Full-Length Resizing dies opposed to Neck Sizing dies....... I've been reloading for hunting and varmint rifles for about 45 years and I've always thought that if I only wanted to neck size a case that had already been fire-formed to a particular rifle all I had to do was back the Full-Length Resizer die out of the press a round or so.... Someone please tell me if I am wrong.....

------------<" ){{{{{><

Hobo
I like the redding die as well but my budget didn't allow me to purchase that die. Thus I opted for the forster. I saw on forsters website that they can retrofit the bench rest die for any bullet as well. Not sure what all is involved but I swear I read that on their site.

I think what you are talking about is inbetween full length and neck sizing. I have heard of guys doing it and from what I've read it can help save brass life some but its not exactly neck sizing. I don't see any problem with it. If it works for you keep doing it.

TEAMPETE

........ I just placed my order for a new custom 6.5x47Lapua Rifle..... I plan to use the Berger Hunting 140 gr VLD Bullets for this long range rifle......

I chose the Redding Precision die set including the micrometer seating die.... The only reason I chose Redding over Forster is because that Redding offers an optional seating stem made especially for the Berger VLD bullets....

THIS QUESTION IS FOR ANYBODY

I can't understand all the fuss about Full-Length Resizing dies opposed to Neck Sizing dies....... I've been reloading for hunting and varmint rifles for about 45 years and I've always thought that if I only wanted to neck size a case that had already been fire-formed to a particular rifle all I had to do was back the Full-Length Resizer die out of the press a round or so.... Someone please tell me if I am wrong.....

------------<" ){{{{{><

The subtle difference (if any) would be the point at which the FL sizer contacts the body vs when it begins to size the body vs when it begins to bump the shoulder back.

There's nothing inherently wrong with your method that I can see.

Like teampete said, go with what works for you.

-- richard

All aspects of case sizing can be addressed, either with a 'custom' FL die, or with seperate sizing using specialty dies(like bushing/ bump dies).
I'd consider FL sizing with an off the shelf die, nothing more than a poor shortcut. Except hundreds of problems brought here every year, are the direct result of this approach..
So apparently, only the 'poor' part applies really.

In my experience, you are correct regarding brass life and I find my loads in most rifles more accurate. I use the VLD's in the calibers that I have that like them.(not all do) It's a simple lathe project to open the seating stem to properly fit the VLD if you find the COAL is inconsistent due to variations in the "tip", allowing more accurate contact on the ogive.
That is exactly what I found with my 338 forester micro and berger hybrid gen 1, I opened up stem, my coal much more consistent

i dont think any die will give you the same reading after measuring 100s of bullets its the bullet that throws it there is alot anywhere from the same to 12thousandth of a inch diff. so it pays to mic each round when seating or as much a you can for accurcy

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.