Dies for Berger VLD

being as you said the magic word "VLD", you should buy the correct seating stem from Forster or Rediing (or whomever). Normal ones are not really made for the VLD profile. Otherwise your good to go.
gary

i have redding comp dies and as far as i know they dont make a seating stem for the vld with micrometer they do now if you have there standard dies.top has 1/2"
threads mine is over .600 thxs

TEAMPETE

........ I just placed my order for a new custom 6.5x47Lapua Rifle..... I plan to use the Berger Hunting 140 gr VLD Bullets for this long range rifle......

I chose the Redding Precision die set including the micrometer seating die.... The only reason I chose Redding over Forster is because that Redding offers an optional seating stem made especially for the Berger VLD bullets....

THIS QUESTION IS FOR ANYBODY

I can't understand all the fuss about Full-Length Resizing dies opposed to Neck Sizing dies....... I've been reloading for hunting and varmint rifles for about 45 years and I've always thought that if I only wanted to neck size a case that had already been fire-formed to a particular rifle all I had to do was back the Full-Length Resizer die out of the press a round or so.... Someone please tell me if I am wrong.....

------------<" ){{{{{><

just about every die maker offers a seating stem for VLD bullets. Most are non cataloged, and you need to order them directly. But if you have access to a small lathe you can modify your own seating heads just as easy. I have a box of modified center drills that have the angles changed to recut the seating heads to various angles. But you can also do it otherways.
gary

Roninflag- I am loading for a savage long range hunter in 300 win mag. I full length sized my brass already with a rcbs die but I plan on neck sizing the next time I reload this brass. From what I've read and heard neck sizing saves brass life and alkso can help with acurracy a bit?

You guys were way too hard on him. Full length dies are for first time resizing with brass that is new or fired from a different gun or in semi automatics to insure proper feeding, but using it on brass fired from the same bolt gun it will be fired from again leads to metal hardening and early fatique. Neck sizing is all you should / need to do otherwise so it holds the bullet properly. He was right and half the people who got on to him were wrong.

That being said, the bullet seated with a micrometer helps only a little. With a good caliper and making small steps will make just as good a bullet. The problem is though, exactly what you identified with vld or hybrid ogive bullets is that the impact the collet improperly since the were machined with a more drastic curve so all the seating pressure is put in too small an area. The symptom is a sticking cartridge on the down stroke or even a "halo" ring you can see on the bullet after extraction.

If you use the vlds or match bullets a lot stick with match grade dies that specify for use in match grade bullets or if you have deep pockets have a die set made just for the bullet you use. lightbulb

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.