.338 Berger OTM vs Hunting VLD question.

We shot a bull bedded at 546 yards with his rear to us. All we had was a neck shot. After much discussion on exact placement, and minute wind dope, we put a 300 OTM from the LRKM, .338 Terminator, 3200 FPS MV. right through the neck. I will post video below. Exit was large enough I could stick two fingers into it and the blood loss was pretty impressive.

Mike's Bull Elk Shot 546 yards with .338 Terminator +P LRKM - YouTube

Isn't it amazing how you either always seem to find bedded animals in that position or they lay down in front of you in that position!!!

Great shooting. The difficulty factor adds was very high on that shot. Its amazing easy it would SEEM to be for a shot like that and if your shooting at a 6" diameter rock at that range it would be easy for you guys but when you have that big rump staring you in the eye when your about to take the shot, it becomes a much trickier shot because of the mental aspect of it.

Well done, don't over think things, believe in your proven system and take a well prepped and released shot, congrats to all!!!

Looks like that OTM worked alright.:D

I believe every bullet design from time to time may have a hic-up here and there, its looking at a wide range of field results that we need to look at. Sometimes strange things happen with any bullet but that does not mean its a bad bullet or that it will perform badly, just that more testing and results need to be collected!!! What a crappy job we all have to do!!!:)

True, the day before my son YoungGun made a shot on a great bull at 815 yards. This time it was 3/4 facing us. We waited for him to turn his head and sent one through the neck and into the vitals. This was a 230 OTM from a 300 win.

On the 546 yard bull the tricky part was the swirling wind I knew was there below the ridge we shot from. I played with the phone app and looked at the error amounts either way if I mis judged the wind. In the end I had it figured the error was down to 2" either side of a center spine hit for a 4"to 5" wide kill gone. The result was a direct spine hit. So it must have worked. It helped having a good shooter and an accurate rifle too.:cool:

Jeff

True, the day before my son YoungGun made a shot on a great bull at 815 yards. This time it was 3/4 facing us. We waited for him to turn his head and sent one through the neck and into the vitals. This was a 230 OTM from a 300 win.

On the 546 yard bull the tricky part was the swirling wind I knew was there below the ridge we shot from. I played with the phone app and looked at the error amounts either way if I mis judged the wind. In the end I had it figured the error was down to 2" either side of a center spine hit for a 4"to 5" wide kill gone. The result was a direct spine hit. So it must have worked. It helped having a good shooter and an accurate rifle too.:cool:

Jeff

Ya, kinda have to have those three important ingredients, good field data, good shoot and good rifle. Lack in any of the three and it usually shows up down range!!!

I personally HATE judging canyon winds, especially relatively mild ones. I am a flatlander on the east slope of the rocks, usually have to tie my hat to my head but at least the wind blows in one direction MOST of the time!!!

Would imagine they would work just fine out of the Norma at ranges under 1/2 mile. We have just been seeing some inconsistent expansion performance at longer ranges with these bullets because of their thicker jackets.

For closer range impacts, like your 50 yard example, they would be the one I would recommend for any 338 magnum large enough to use this bullet weight and I suspect they would perform very well.
Yes Kirby I had some friends w/ Norma shoot speed goats at 1200-1400 and bullet was not expanding like they hoped, They where at about 2800 Muzzle . I like the otm because I shoot into alders and hunt thick stuff on way up

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.