berger vld hunting

Using 168VLD target in 308 last 20 yrs for Texas whitetail. Neck shoot everything and this bullet decapitates, literally, inside 300's. No tracking necessary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!16"-24" barrel, doesn't matter. Velocities 2300-2800fps.

About 10 years ago one of my friends had just started reloading and took the word of someone and used a powder that wasnt tested with the bullet he was shooting and blew up a sako finnwolf. after doing some research he found out that he was loading pistol powder.
Well yea!!! Research beforehand would have been nice!:confused:

I emailed and they won't share info over email. They offered by phone, but can't reach them. Called like 3 times today....
Seriously I 2nd previous post and using another makers book to determine your load . Your not risking a blown up rifle , in fact for that to happen you have to try , or someone is full circle idiot for that to happen

I will say I have all of the books and the Hogdon magazines. For the most part I just flip to the caliber I have the powder I want to use with the bullet or weight of bullet and start a1 to 2 grains below max and go from there. All of my bullets are seated out much further than book stated c.o.a.l.. Almost all of my loads are over the lawyer max that is published.
((This would be considered experienced reloading)) ((not for beginners)) The books are for reference. Unless you are doing exactly what the book does it is all reference. You should see the difference from Hornady in the 70's pre frivolous lawsuits to now with lawyer Max's.

You have to fallow a few simple rules and a functioning brain helps.

thanks for all the feed back. I do have the hornady,barnes and nosler books that i have read. i do plan on buying the berger book later. i saw a few guys asking why the 168 out of the 300 win. im loading them in the 300 because 99 percent of my shots are under 300 yards and i dont think i really need anything heavier.

thanks for all the feed back. I do have the hornady,barnes and nosler books that i have read. i do plan on buying the berger book later. i saw a few guys asking why the 168 out of the 300 win. im loading them in the 300 because 99 percent of my shots are under 300 yards and i dont think i really need anything heavier.
Corey, I assume you want to get the benefit of a 300 mag in the way of a flat trajectory, likely why you are wanting to do this with a 300 instead of a 308 since we are talking 300 yds. or under. And if that's the goal you are likely looking at 32-3300 fps Muzzle Velocity. Several years ago I loaded some 168 Bergers for my brother, he was using a 300WM Rem Police and we went on an Antelope hunt in WY. Let me just say I am glad we were hunting Antelope as they were a bomb at those speeds.
Ask Berger what they think concerning using this bullet on game approaching this velocity because sooner or later you will shoot Deer up close. I think they will advise a heavier bullet but again ask them. I like Bergers when properly applied, in fact I am about to load some 215's for my Sendero 300WM. In most cases I go heavier for caliber.
Again, I like Bergers and the 168-175 is a nice choice in 308 but I am not sure what the Berger will give you over other bullets at 300 yds or under. The difference in trajectory out to 300 will be Very minimal and the wind difference manageable. I would look at something like the Gamechanger or Accubond and make sure I have a sharp skinning knife.

Nomosendero i tried the accubonds in 165 and 180 with different powders and seating depths and my rifle didnt like either. i have just ordered some 165 and 180 grain barnes ttsx.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.