berger vld hunting

Just because you are using a Berger projectile doesnt mean you need Berger data.

Just use the load data for your projectile weight from the powder manifacturer that you are using.

I load 10 different brands of bullets, doesnt mean I am going to go out & buy 10 different manuals!

What you say maybe true but i have only been reloading for about 6 months and Im not taking any chances. Plus i have already seen someone blow up a nice rifle from failure to follow published load data. I do not want that to happen to me

What you say maybe true but i have only been reloading for about 6 months and Im not taking any chances. Plus i have already seen someone blow up a nice rifle from failure to follow published load data. I do not want that to happen to me
No chance about it.
It's the people who make the propellant that I would be listening to not the people who make the projectiles!
That's what propellant manufacturers do, publish data for their powders!!

can someone help me out with some load data out of the Berger book? i was given some 30 cal 168 grain vld hunting bullets to try in my 300 win mag. I really dont feel like buying the book just to try these out. Thanks
VHIT N165 Start load 73.5 grs. 2887 fps, Max Load 77.6 grs. 3047 fps, Reloader-22 Start load 73.5 2975 fps, Max Load 77.6 grs. 3145 fps. IMR 7828 SSC, Start load 74 grs. 2973 fps, Max Load 77.8 grs. 3145 fps, Norma MRP start load 74 grs. 2973 fps, Max load 78 grs. 3152 fps, Reloader-25 start load 75 grs. 2944 fps, Max load 78.9 grs, 3102 fps, AA Magpro start load 75.5 grs. 2889 fps, Max load 79.8 grs. 3072 fps, H1000 start 78.5 grs. 2947 fps, Max load 83.0 grs. 3144 fps, Ramshot Magnum, start load 79 grs. 2931 fps, Max load 83.4 grs, 3128 fps. Fill rate are from 98% to 103% depending on powder. 26" barrel, 1 - 13 twist. These load are from Berger manual 1st Edition for 300 Win. Mag. on page 761.
What I am short one is the primer they are using.
I would if I was you get their reloading manual. Some bullet manufactures use different powders, and you can go between them to see the difference.
SSS
Mike

You saw someone blow up their rifle ! Any pictures ? What did they do, use pistol powder ? That is a catastrophic mistake.

I will say that following ANY book will provide a much higher safety margin and following NO book is extremely risky business. You don't need the bullet manufacturers specific load data to be safe, but they usually have great info. I rely on the powder manufacturers data as a starting and top end reference point and figure out what's best for me. Definitely don't do what your buddy did without at least referencing SOMETHING.

can someone help me out with some load data out of the Berger book? i was given some 30 cal 168 grain vld hunting bullets to try in my 300 win mag. I really dont feel like buying the book just to try these out. Thanks
Most of the time I agree with you, but this time I would say buy the book. It's so good and so much information.

Blue Dot and rifles is not usually a good mix. I also agree that the Berger book is one you could really use along with the Barnes book and then one of the standard cup and core books from Sierra, Nosler, whatever. It will help you get a feel for powders and bullet combinations and add caution to start points as some books are more conservative than others.

I tend to pick and choose by looking for the manual that has data for the caliber in question that was developed in a rifle most like what I am shooting. For example, say I'm loading .223 Rem for a Rem 788 with an 18" barrel and I've got two manuals. One with data developed in a 24" Universal test barrel and another with loads developed in a Rem 700 with a 20" barrel. The manual that I would choose in this case would be that which used the Rem 700 because it's barrel length is closer to what I'm shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.