6.5x55 VLD

ZeeRo7

Hello everyone. I shoot a Swedish Mauser (m38) that is in superb condition. I load for it with a simple yet very effective Lee Loader. Ive shot a fair batch of ammo i loaded up with the Sierra 140 SMK, and the rifle loved them. I want to try the Berger VLDs in it now. VLDs are awesome! Though i have read seating depth is somewhat of a tricky thing with such long projectiles. In the lee loader manual it says to have a 3.050 minimum OAL with a 140gr pill. My question is, should i keep that same rule with the VLD? Even though they are long for caliber. From my understanding and observations of my particular rifle, there is PLENTY of room in the magazine and chamber for the 6.5 Swede to be loaded long.

My 6.5x55 is built on a commercial '98 mauser. The Berger 140 VLD measures 3.140 to the lands. When I first began loading for this rifle, I followed Berger's instructions for testing seating depth. Preferred seating depth came in at .120 off the lands, for an OAL of 3.020.

The only way to know is to test seating depth. Do that with a starting load, then work up your powder charges. H4831 or RL-22 are ideal powders for the Swede and 140's.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.