Video inside a rifle bore. See any issues?

The question is why is there so much copper near the start of the lands and groves?

There always is as that's the transition area into the lands where they get the intial bite on the bullet. The majority of the copper that is eaten off of the bullet during it's trip though the barrel ends up in the first few inches, mostly right at the point where you get the full depth of the grooves.

Once the barrel has the full bite on the bullet there's very little left to eat.

That's also why you can get massive pressure spikes with just light adjustments in bullt seating depth.

I would still say to do the brake cleaner to be sure there isn't a good bit of carbon buildup.

Get a small bowl, put several folded up white paper towels in it and hit it with brake cleaner letting it run from the chamber to the muzzle into the paper towel.

Do this several times letting it soak five or ten minutes in between.

What color do you see if any?

We are at least 250+ rounds down this.

We had some deep blue to black color after using wipe out

The issue is we already have another barrel and gunsmith will redo it for $300 ;). I wanted to do some research on my own to figure out what exactly went wrong with this.

Attachments

• IMG_2108.JPG
    IMG_2108.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 206
We are at least 250+ rounds down this.

We had some deep blue to black color after using wipe out

The issue is we already have another barrel and gunsmith will redo it for $300 ;). I wanted to do some research on my own to figure out what exactly went wrong with this.

You shouldn't be out another dime on this. The Smith should have seen there was a problem when he inspected the barrel before mounting and the barrel maker should have fixed it.

To save you a lot of money if you want to try and fix it I'll give you my recipe for polishing.

It still looks very rough to me. Unless they are just artifacts I'm seeing lots of small bits of cleaning patch adhering to burrs and rough spots in the rifling.

This is concerning to me as it indicates a poor job of lapping.[/

Let's say you have two identical rifles. Why would one build up lots of copper at the lands and the other doesn't?

Let's say you have two identical rifles. Why would one build up lots of copper at the lands and the other doesn't if it wasn't a bad barrel.

Last edited:
You shouldn't be out another dime on this. The Smith should have seen there was a problem when he inspected the barrel before mounting and the barrel maker should have fixed it.

To save you a lot of money if you want to try and fix it I'll give you my recipe for polishing.

That's what I thought. Gunsmith should have caught this

Let's say you have two identical rifles. Why would one build up lots of copper at the lands and the other doesn't if it wasn't a bad barrel.

One is a lot rougher than the other indicating a problem in manufacturing or poor QC after it was lapped.

That barrel should have never made it out the door.

That's what I thought. Gunsmith should have caught this
Any gunsmith installing a barrel who doesn't first clean the snot out of it and inspect it is negligent.

I don't know who did your work and I have no prejudice here but this is **** poor quality control on both his part and that of the maker.

It needs the kind of cleaning I suggested and lapping. That's at most a few hours work and I'd do that before anything else.

The Maker and Gunsmith both owe you on this and you shouldn't be out another dime. You've already lost a year and wasted close to 500.00 in ammo/components and I'd venture a guess of more than 200 hours of time.

Proper cleaning, lapping, then cleaning and seasoning again would likely save this barrel and then you've have a spare for when your "new" barrel is toast.

It's o.k. to lap after the barrel has been chambered? I was under the impression that the lapping should only be before chambering. Thanks for the insights.

Any gunsmith installing a barrel who doesn't first clean the snot out of it and inspect it is negligent.

I don't know who did your work and I have no prejudice here but this is *Rule 4 Violation* poor quality control on both his part and that of the maker.

It needs the kind of cleaning I suggested and lapping. That's at most a few hours work and I'd do that before anything else.

The Maker and Gunsmith both owe you on this and you shouldn't be out another dime. You've already lost a year and wasted close to 500.00 in ammo/components and I'd venture a guess of more than 200 hours of time.

Proper cleaning, lapping, then cleaning and seasoning again would likely save this barrel and then you've have a spare for when your "new" barrel is toast.

Something I see In your last last video, is two blasts of carbon right at the chamber that indicates there's pressure escaping sideways in two spots, instead of equally around the bore.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.