Video inside a rifle bore. See any issues?

You might try to fire-lap the barrel using the David Tubb "FINAL FINISH" bullets that can be ordered from his company , Superior Shooting Systems .
You buy a kit containing bullets coated with 5 different levels of lapping compound , starting with coarse and ending with very fine grit . You reload them into your cartridges , at the starting load recommendation from any reloading manual . Lowest starting velocity .
I have used these on 4 different rifles that had very rough bores , and all 4 ended up very smoothly polished , cleaned easily , and shot tighter groups .

It might be worth a try if you get no satisfactory resolution of your talks with gunsmith and barrel manufacturer .
Good luck .

DMP25-06

I do something similar using a loose jag and patch wet with lapping compound. Run it up and down the bore, fire, and repeat.

The issue I have with Tubb's method is that nearly all of the lapping compound is exhausted as soon as it gets fully into the lands and grooves so it takes a lot of rounds to fire lap the entire length of the barrel.

I do something similar using a loose jag and patch wet with lapping compound. Run it up and down the bore, fire, and repeat.

The issue I have with Tubb's method is that nearly all of the lapping compound is exhausted as soon as it gets fully into the lands and grooves so it takes a lot of rounds to fire lap the entire length of the barrel.

Yes , his kit contains 10 bullets of each grit , and by the instructions provided , they recommend using all of them , if bore is particularly rough/coarse .
Only 1 of my rifles required all 5 different grits , and I only used 5 bullets of each grit , not all 10 , therefore a total of 25 shots were fired . Bore finished ultra-smooth .
On the other 3 rifles , I only used the middle grit and extra-fine grit , 10 shots of each .
20 shots total , and all 3 were ultra-smooth finish , looking through a video borescope at Alamo Precision Rifles .
I did thoroughly clean after every 5 shots , and always before changing to the next grit compound level .

DMP25-06

Yes , his kit contains 10 bullets of each grit , and by the instructions provided , they recommend using all of them , if bore is particularly rough/coarse .
Only 1 of my rifles required all 5 different grits , and I only used 5 bullets of each grit , not all 10 , therefore a total of 25 shots were fired . Bore finished ultra-smooth .
On the other 3 rifles , I only used the middle grit and extra-fine grit , 10 shots of each .
20 shots total , and all 3 were ultra-smooth finish , looking through a video borescope at Alamo Precision Rifles .
I did thoroughly clean after every 5 shots , and always before changing to the next grit compound level .

DMP25-06

I had an old .220 swift that looked like a rotten sewer pipe and using this method cleaned it up better than I'd have ever believed possible with a total of just 15 rounds.

It may be the redneck way of doing it but it's very inexpensive an highly effective.

I look down the bore to be sure I'm only leaving a thin coating of the lapping compound because leaving too much is the only way I can think of to screw it up.

What grit of lapping polish are you using wildRose?

Received the new camera. It's much better but records in AVI.
Here are some pics, this is only 12 rounds after being cleaned. It looks like fouling is building up already.

Attachments

• IMG_2264.PNG
    IMG_2264.PNG
    937.4 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_2269.PNG
    IMG_2269.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 170
  • IMG_2266.PNG
    IMG_2266.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 199
Received the new camera. It's much better but records in AVI.
Here are some pics, this is only 12 rounds after being cleaned. It looks like fouling is building up already.

Another one

Attachments

• IMG_2267.PNG
    IMG_2267.PNG
    963.5 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_2268.PNG
    IMG_2268.PNG
    922.9 KB · Views: 175
Have a good reputation.For what it is worth I always use sierras for break in as I feel they have the hardest jacket. On a new barrel even with a new reamer the throat will be a little rough. That strips off copper and the powder jet melts it and coats the whole bore. Shoot it awhile

Have a good reputation.For what it is worth I always use sierras for break in as I feel they have the hardest jacket. On a new barrel even with a new reamer the throat will be a little rough. That strips off copper and the powder jet melts it and coats the whole bore. Shoot it awhile
But you never know. I know a very well regarded barrel maker that hired his new son in law to lap the barrels. lol. He stuck the money in his pocket and enjoyed couch time and no lapping. Many returned barrels and unhappy customers.

Some barrels will clean up in 5 rounds. Some take over a hundred.
one more tip. After cleaning I soak a patch so it has kroil about the size of a dime and run it through. A bare dry bore will strip off copper. Tight fitting patch so it just coats it. After the first shot you have some powder residue that works as a lubricant.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.