Video inside a rifle bore. See any issues?

jdmecomber

Official LRH Sponsor

This gun wouldn't shoot at all. Nothing consistent. Barrel was warrantied but I wanted to look inside. Anyone see anything?

How much did you shoot it? I don't see any evidence of copper so did you strip it clean? Could you also clarify what is inconsistent to you?

How much did you shoot it? I don't see any evidence of copper so did you strip it clean? Could you also clarify what is inconsistent to you?

It was shot 200+ rounds. Nothing repeatable

I will include a video of my rifle that looks completely different.

This gun wouldn't shoot at all. Nothing consistent. Barrel was warrantied but I wanted to look inside. Anyone see anything?

May just be my eyes but I see what may be some serious carbon issues and it appears to have some serious rough areas in the rifling.

I would suggest cleaning the snot out of it and when you are finished just take a fairly tight jag and patch or multiple patches rodding it back and forth.

See if you feel areas of binding and loosening? It may not be lapped properly. Let me know if that's the case and I'll offer you a suggestion or two.

May just be my eyes but I see what may be some serious carbon issues and it appears to have some serious rough areas in the rifling.

I would suggest cleaning the snot out of it and when you are finished just take a fairly tight jag and patch or multiple patches rodding it back and forth.

See if you feel areas of binding and loosening? It may not be lapped properly. Let me know if that's the case and I'll offer you a suggestion or two.

Thank you

It's weird when the camera starts in, it looks like the lands and groves are not equal. Like little black snakes ;). We will clean it really well and look through it again. I think we are leaning towards it wasn't lapped at all maybe?

Maybe start a practice of looking down every new barrel. We could have saved days of work?

Here is a brand new Proof Sendero Lite. Video

That barrel with all the black is very clean. Just ran some patches through it and it was clean. Going to try some Butches Bore Cleaner.

It's weird when the camera starts in, it looks like the lands and groves are not equal. Like little black snakes ;). We will clean it really well and look through it again. I think we are leaning towards it wasn't lapped at all maybe?

Maybe start a practice of looking down every new barrel. We could have saved days of work?

Use some non chlorinated brake cleaner and alternate it with your favorite bore cleaner. I like the Montana Extreme products but there are quite a few designed specifically for carbon.

Also I'd take an 8mm nylon brush, on a short rod, wrap a shotgun or ML patch around it, insert it just to where you're getting a good bite indicating you are at the neck area and just into the lands.

Lube it up with the same two, brake cleaner and bore cleaner alternately and spin the hell out of it for about 30 seconds at a time then alternate.

I may be wrong but I'm thinking I see a fairly serious carbon build up in that area.

The whole chamber and most of the barrel look rough to me. it should all be shiny but looks more to me like brushed stainless that has been eroded with a sand blaster.

You can do a good job of polishing the chamber and bore yourself and if you want my recipe let me know and I'll provide it.

Personally once I had cleaned the snot out of it I think I'd have a long talk with my gunsmith and the barrel manufacturer. That barrel just isn't "right", at least best I can tell from your video.

Too bad you don't have a borescope with a 90 degree mirror that allows you a really good view of the lands, grooves, and throat.

Here is a brand new Proof Sendero Lite. Video

That barrel with all the black is very clean. Just ran some patches through it and it was clean. Going to try some Butches Bore Cleaner.

Get a small bowl, put several folded up white paper towels in it and hit it with brake cleaner letting it run from the chamber to the muzzle into the paper towel.

Do this several times letting it soak five or ten minutes in between.

What color do you see if any?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.