Vertical stringing

Joefrazell

I've got a new build that I'm trying to figure out why I'm getting vertical stringing while doing load development. All groups are within 1/2 moa at 100 width size but most are 1.5 moa vertical. Alot of the groups have two or three all clustered and then one high or low. It's completely random as it's not always the last shot or first. Some groups have been good. 4 shot groups.

Rifle is a trued 700 with a bartlein 3b barrel chambered in 300 win with a 26" barrel and a mbm beast brake.

I'm shooting off a bipod with a rear bag. Really focusing on the fundamentals and being consistent. However, i do feel like it's probably me and not the rifle. Possibly a recoil management issue? Possibly not loading the bipods correctly? Looking for advice from maybe an instructor or someone that's dealt with diagnosing these types of issues. Thanks in advance

During load development it's a good practice to use a chronograph. MV is very useful data to help evaluate your loads and to help diagnose various issues such as vertical stringing. It could be your MV spread is high, but you would need a chrono to know that for sure

I did do a ladder test with the magneto speed attached but I don't like shooting groups with it on so I don't have any idea of es or es. Should i just leave it attached?

I did do a ladder test with the magneto speed attached but I don't like shooting groups with it on so I don't have any idea of es or es. Should i just leave it attached?
Get this mount from wiser precision and you can leave it attached without affecting your point of impact
C9053072-CF9B-4F85-AD35-B01134425A26.jpeg

I've got a new build that I'm trying to figure out why I'm getting vertical stringing while doing load development. All groups are within 1/2 moa at 100 width size but most are 1.5 moa vertical. Alot of the groups have two or three all clustered and then one high or low. It's completely random as it's not always the last shot or first. Some groups have been good. 4 shot groups.

Rifle is a trued 700 with a bartlein 3b barrel chambered in 300 win with a 26" barrel and a mbm beast brake.

I'm shooting off a bipod with a rear bag. Really focusing on the fundamentals and being consistent. However, i do feel like it's probably me and not the rifle. Possibly a recoil management issue? Possibly not loading the bipods correctly? Looking for advice from maybe an instructor or someone that's dealt with diagnosing these types of issues.

If you are shooting off a table, then it may be the bipod. They can be finicky when off a hard service.

You could sacrifice 10-15 rounds just trying to find a flat node in velocity then load in middle of node and shoot groups. I did this until I took the plunge and bought labradar. Magnetospeed is equally accurate though I believe.
Good luck

Yeah look at the ES. I'm Just going to throw this out there... make sure the gaurd screws are properly tightened down.. you would not believe how many people show up with a gun they "can't zero" only to find out it's half *** in the stock or high pointing on the recoil lug etc.

if that's tight then check your bedding

You mentioned you were using a bipod. When doing load dev, I try to use a heavy tripod type rest and rear bag.
A bipod has caused me to chase my tail a time or two.
I now wait until I have a solid load and then use the bipod for more real world hunting type shooting.

I also have found if a barrel/bullet doesn't like to be seated long, it will vertically string. Seat a little deeper and see what it does.

Hey Joe,
Some of the things I would look at and possibly try; make sure your parallax is set correctly, along with your ocular lens/reticle. Depending on the scope, I adjust my parallax quiet a bit. I can definitely "see" the difference in the quality (aka cost) of my various scopes.
Make sure your cheek weld is as identical each time your shoot as you can. If scopes were like red dot sights we wouldn't have to worry with head/eye alignment so much.
While shooting for groups use as natural a point of aim as you can. Align your scope, horizontally and vertically, as close to the point of aim as possible. This, hopefully, will take as much of "you" out of the equation as possible. No, holding the forearm or squeezing the rear bag. These use muscles and it's hard to use the same pressure each and every time. Try to leave your thumb out when gripping the pistol grip.
Some say the trigger's break should surprise you, I disagree with this. I want my crosshairs exactly where I need them every time. I want to be able to call each shot or at least know the reticle wasn't drifting. For me that means a trigger pull no heavier than 2lbs.
Keep us posted.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.