Would you prefer a 1" vertical string group or a 1" horizontal string group?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But why? I make my living building long range rifles. Ethics is part of what we do. I have turned away people with unrealistic goals. Its not their fault. Advertising and lack of realistic talk is.
Because that's Len's Rule. With all the crap floating around about Long Rang Hunting that's just the one subject forbidden here.

Hunting season is almost here in Montana. Casual observance of many efforts to sight in rifles at local range would show any 1-inch group, up down or side by side not common. There is an infinite number of causes for less than desired accuracy and an infinite source of fixes. Some old guy having a 2 MOA .30-06 will probably bag an OX sized deer.

Hunting season is almost here in Montana. Casual observance of many efforts to sight in rifles at local range would show any 1-inch group, up down or side by side not common. There is an infinite number of causes for less than desired accuracy and an infinite source of fixes. Some old guy having a 2 MOA .30-06 will probably bag an OX sized deer.
And do it at 40yds. 🤣

I could tell you the story of how my dad killed his first elk... . It would be fitting here.
The short version is this. After buying horses, a mule, a trailer to haul them in, a new pickup to pull it all and a brand new 700bdl in 7RM, spending ten miserable days getting snowed and rained on, including over 2' of snow in one night and never seeing an elk they gave up in disgust.

The scope on the brand new rifle fogged up the first night so they had to come back down and get his old 1954 Model 760 that came packaged with a K6 weaver and things went uphill from there.

Frozen, wet, disgusted, just before dark they got back to the truck and loaded up and he spilled hot coffee in his lap so he jumped out of the truck throwing a tantrum.

Halfway through it they see a monster 5x5 standing about 100yds off the road which he quickly and cleanly dispatched with the old 06 shooting factory 180g "Bear Claw Silver Tips" with a single shot through the heart.

Of course it then took them all night to get it gutted, get the head and lower legs off of it and drag it uphill to the truck to load it!~
1666408247657.png
1666408247657.png

At least they got home without ruining a trailer axle or blowing up the truck!

I have never been in a nasty fight. Its pretty simple. Realistic long range gives you time to set up and make a very clean shot. I will take a 600yd shot over a 50yd shot every day. But when a guy wants you to build him a rifle to shoot an elk at 1000yds when he has no opportunity to shoot past 200, until his hunt. Well.... I wouldnt even call that ethics. Thats just common sense. If you fear the discussion, thats a problem. Having the discussion is how you educate people on whats possible now. Shutting it down is a sure way to continue the uneducated opinion about LR hunting.

I have never been in a nasty fight. Its pretty simple. Realistic long range gives you time to set up and make a very clean shot. I will take a 600yd shot over a 50yd shot every day. But when a guy wants you to build him a rifle to shoot an elk at 1000yds when he has no opportunity to shoot past 200, until his hunt. Well.... I wouldnt even call that ethics. Thats just common sense. If you fear the discussion, thats a problem. Having the discussion is how you educate people on whats possible now. Shutting it down is a sure way to continue the uneducated opinion about LR hunting.
If you don't like the rules petition Len for a rule change or go elsewhere.

Len's house, his rules plain and simple.

I'm good. I'll contribute what I can and help who I can. If the actual owner of the site chooses to kick me off that is his right. And Im fine with that. I care more about this sport than I do about privilege's on forums. If you would like to tell people what they can say and where, I suggest you start your own forum Sir.

I'm good. I'll contribute what I can and help who I can. If the actual owner of the site chooses to kick me off that is his right. And Im fine with that. I care more about this sport than I do about privilege's on forums. If you would like to tell people what they can say and where, I suggest you start your own forum Sir.
I'm not the one making the rules; the rules you agreed to when you signed on here.

Len expects us to live within those rules and act like adults; thus, to be self-policing to save he and his son headaches of having to moderate the forum.

His house, his rules and we all agreed to follow them so let's not make his life any more difficult than it needs to be by following them.

This isn't hard.

From the forum rules page.

This is a privately owned site developed to foster discussions about Long Range Hunting between like minded hunters.
  1. We do not discuss ethics. To do so will result in the post or posts being edited or deleted.
Len asks us kindly to respect the rules, let's do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.