Need a lightweight vertical grip stock

Jumpalot

I had built a 300 WM on a Borden action, #4 Bartlein barrel (w/heavy flutes) and a McMillan BDL(edge fill) stock. Came in just over 7lbs. It's primary function was as a pack rifle to shoot out to 800yds. I only shoot prone and I just don't like the grip and the monte carlo cheek piece (it's too low so I added a Triad Tactical stock pad, but it fits funny because of the swell on the cheek piece). So I need help finding a vertical grip stock that doesn't add a weight. The other need is that it can't have too large of a palm swell (small hands, don't ask).
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Edit: Just measured my barrel and it's actually a #3B contour not a #4

Last edited:
You know, I was limited with stock choices on the Ruger that i just built, ended up getting a Boyds AT ONE Thumbhole and it is really comfortable. Has a very small grip section
p1010175-jpg.152342

You cant go wrong with AG carbon fiber stocks, 6 weeks lead time is awesome.
Give them a call there great to talk with and very helpful.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I like the AG stocks. Anyone have any experience with a McMillan Game Scout?

I don't but I own a few McMillan Edge stocks and love them, but that was the one I was going to suggest along with the new Game Hunter/Warden if you ever decide for a larger barrel contour in an Edge fill of course. You can probably sell that BDL Edge fast, so you won't loose much money. I've been looking at that Game Scout for awhile now, just haven't pulled the trigger on a new build yet.

Talk to Stewart at Wildcat Composites Rifle Stocks,,, and you'll save money since your funds are 30% higher than our Cnd funds...

Stewart makes them here in our area,,, he can fill in the area with extra support for long actions...

Look at the Vartec since it has the drop down pistol grip,,, 2.1 or 2.2 lbs,,, it will cost a bit more if you want it coated,,, you'll need to have it bedded if you want to shoot pin holes...

Email or phone call if that works for you.

Cheers from the North

I forgot to add that the Vartec fore ends are set up like a M-40 with a extra rib in the full length of the fore-arm,,, that way it won't flex or twist if your shooting off of bypods,,, the sticks,,, sand bags or fence posts,,, the Var is classed as a light weigth FTR stock that is ment to cover ground... Ha...

Stewart ships them to the USA market place and other countries... He stands behind his product that has earned a place in the shooting sports world...

He's has a fantastic collection of firearms that are simply out of this world...

The real plus is that he can custom build a composite stock from scratch to fit the shooter,,, that's a bouns...

$375 Cnd works out to $275 ish Usd dollars...

http://wildcatcomposites.com/productinfo.html

Pretty hard to find a Composite rifle stock in match grade at that value in my books...

And yes,,, I was going to do a MacMillan Stock on my second build,,, but I couldn't turn down the price and quality with the support of Stewart...

Lots of reviews on the World Wide Web of his builds over the years...

Cheers from the North

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.