Vertical grouping

My experience is that vertical stringing it's caused by inconsistent check weld pressure and breathing. Are your breaking the shot at the bottom respiratory pause?
That may be some of it, but that is a lot of vertical for 100 yards. I say his seat depth is close by horizontal tightness. On days I should have done something different and not tried shooting groups, for any reason, my groups would not look like this, they are scattered.
I say play with the charge.

My experience is that vertical stringing it's caused by inconsistent check weld pressure and breathing. Are your breaking the shot at the bottom respiratory pause?

I agree 100%. I have run into people with this stringing problem that have almost driven them nuts trying different this and that in the load and still had the problem or it got worse. Then they have brought the rifle to me or let someone else shoot it and mysteriously the stringing goes away. I would let some other competent shooter shoot it then if the problem still is there you will know it is the load or rifle and not operator era.

I agree 100%. I have run into people with this stringing problem that have almost driven them nuts trying different this and that in the load and still had the problem or it got worse. Then they have brought the rifle to me or let someone else shoot it and mysteriously the stringing goes away. I would let some other competent shooter shoot it then if the problem still is there you will know it is the load or rifle and not operator era.
That happens a lot when I'm paper tuning someone's bow. They can't get a bullet hole to save their life, but it will shoot fine for me!

In my experience, running a hot load in a slim barrel caused shot strings in a line. Dependent on how hot and the barrel, I've had some group 2 shots right and then 3 4 5 all in a line.

I would do a seating test.

Your ES is pretty good at 16. Are you at or close to the lands? If jumping quite a bit, I would load a little longer and see if it tightens them up. If restricted by mag length, where are you with regards to max/pressure? If not topped out, push it up a bit working close to max and see how it does.

With a low ES I'd say the load is fine.
Focus on consistent pressure while shooting. Bipod load, bag pressure, cheek weld ect.
Maybe take a little longer between shots to relax and fire on an empty chamber between shots.
Even running a pencil thin barrel and shooting rapidly that's a lot of vertical.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.